Jets blowing dirty water when Vacuuming

May 15, 2013
Ct
Been spending every day for the last two weeks getting the pool sparkly. When I vacuum, I have been noticing dirty water coming back out of the jets. It dosnt happen during normal run time. I back wash and it stops for a bit, then starts again.

Also, under the skimmer where the intake is, there are two holes and a toggle bar to move a flap to close off one of the holes, not the hole directly under the intake where you put the vacuum hose. Should that be open or closed when vacuuming?

Thanks !

dyipoolmom said:
Been spending every day for the last two weeks getting the pool sparkly. When I vacuum, I have been noticing dirty water coming back out of the jets. It dosnt happen during normal run time. I back wash and it stops for a bit, then starts again.

Also, under the skimmer where the intake is, there are two holes and a toggle bar to move a flap to close off one of the holes, not the hole directly under the intake where you put the vacuum hose. Should that be open or closed when vacuuming?

Thanks !

When I vacuum, I always move the filter valve to waste. It bypasses the filter completely. Just be sure to watch your water level while doing this. It can get low failry quick.

Your second issue, I'm not totally sure what it is you're talking about. My pool is pretty basic with it being over 40 years old. I would think it probably runs to your main drain.

Oh, I have never moved my filter valve to waste, didnt even know to! Thanks. Right now, the water level is pretty low, I have been doing alot of back washing lately.

So, then that means the wast water is going right back in the pool? Makes sense.

If I lift up the skimmer basket, there are two holes, there is a plastic piece that goes over the holes so only one hole is accessable, then there is a valve to close off or open the other hole.

Thanks !

dyipoolmom said:
Oh, I have never moved my filter valve to waste, didnt even know to! Thanks. Right now, the water level is pretty low, I have been doing alot of back washing lately.

So, then that means the wast water is going right back in the pool? Makes sense.

If I lift up the skimmer basket, there are two holes, there is a plastic piece that goes over the holes so only one hole is accessable, then there is a valve to close off or open the other hole.

Thanks !

You really shouldn't have too much mess going back in the pool. When was the last time you changed your sand? - That is assuming your filter is a sand filter...

dyipoolmom said:
zea3 said:
Does your filter have a multi-port valve? You may need to replace the spider gasket if it does.

Not sure what you mean?

That's your valve that normally sits to the side, or on top of the filter. If you end up needing to replace your sand, there's no reason to fix the valve until the sand is changed.

prjohnson said:
dyipoolmom said:
zea3 said:
Does your filter have a multi-port valve? You may need to replace the spider gasket if it does.

Not sure what you mean?

That's your valve that normally sits to the side, or on top of the filter. If you end up needing to replace your sand, there's no reason to fix the valve until the sand is changed.

Your going to smack me...........I still have no idea what you mean. :hammer:

This

SP710XALL_VariFlo.jpg

]Nope, not that. Thanks for the picture !! Its under the skimmer, when you lift the skimmer basket up,

[attachment=2:2u51pyel]skimmers_hayward_sp1070.jpg[/attachment:2u51pyel]

look at the bottom of the sketch, picture A shows the two tubes the best.

I just found this picture
[attachment=0:2u51pyel]4040-10.jpg[/attachment:2u51pyel]

[attachment=0:2u51pyel]skimmers_hayward_1082.jpg[/attachment:2u51pyel]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Taken from another Forum:
One is a suction port that leads from the skimmer to the pump. The second port is sometimes plumbed as an equalizer line (you'd notice a suction inlet nearby on the pool wall) but more often as the feed from the main drain. The flap is probably the trimmer plate for a float valve that is designed to close shut when the water level in the skimmer drops or the flow is diminished. Prevents air from reaching the pump by diverting water from the main drain (or equalizer line).

If there is no float assembly installed and no main drain or equalizer connection (in other words, port #2 has no function) it may be a cover/drain plug for it. You might have to push a stick or something down the hold to determine if the #2 port is being used. On my skimmer it deadheads into concrete.

Ok quick clarification. Waste setting sends water out of the pool like backwash none goes through the filter media (sand, de, cartridge). It uses up more water but the junk you get then bypasses the filter and goes to the grass etc.

Also sand does not need changing except when converting from baquacil. It may however need cleaning. Also the filter can be damaged in ways that allow this to happen. Usually the damage is not major and involve a gasket or grid.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Prjohnson ! Ill see where it goes, if anywhere.

Frustrated...yes, it is a DE. Last week I took the filter out and cleaned it, all fins look good. At pool oppening I put in twice as much DE by mistake, my local pool shop said my scoop is 2 not one but he said that will be okay. I actually just learnend from this forum that I am supposed to put DE in after I back wash, that is something I never did. This past week I have only been brushing and running the filter and now its sparkley clean. I havent vacuumed this week. Next time I vacuum, ill watch the jets again.

UnderWaterVanya said:
Ok quick clarification. Waste setting sends water out of the pool like backwash none goes through the filter media (sand, de, cartridge). It uses up more water but the junk you get then bypasses the filter and goes to the grass etc.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks Vanya, so Is it better to vacuum on waste?

If stuff is blowing through - the filter is malfunctioning in some way, a tear in a grid, a gasket, a shot o ring, etc. and in this case vacuuming to waste is the only option till you can diagnose where the filter issue is.

frustratedpoolmom said:
If stuff is blowing through - the filter is malfunctioning in some way, a tear in a grid, a gasket, a shot o ring, etc. and in this case vacuuming to waste is the only option till you can diagnose where the filter issue is.

It dosnt do it when just the filter is running though. Could that be because the suction isnt as great when not vacuuming and its not getting the large amounts of dirt at one time?

Ill go over the filter and stuff and see what I find.

Thanks

dyipoolmom said:
frustratedpoolmom said:

It dosnt do it when just the filter is running though. Could that be because the suction isnt as great when not vacuuming and its not getting the large amounts of dirt at one time?

Ill go over the filter and stuff and see what I find.

Thanks
Probably because that's when the dirty water is added to the filter the quickest.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Can I bump this thread back to the top? I have had inground pools for the last ten years...this one is 16X36 with Hayward pump and sand filter. Had a bad algae bloom a month ago. Shocked to recover clarity, circulated a day or so then turned the pump off for 24 hours...likely not recommended but in my experience this works. All the **** settled to the bottom of the pool so I began vacuuming through filter. After ten minutes I noticed the returns spewing cloudy water so I stopped vacuuming, backwashed a couple of minutes, rinsed and returned to vacuum. Just a few minutes later more cloudy water from the return. So I backwashed for 10 minutes and dropped the pool level way to low...rinsed and then back to vacuum and still cloudy water.

What have I done - or not done?

I have exact same problem. In order to save water I vacuum to filter and I think it worked in the past. Now green dead algae come out the returns when I vacuum to filter. Sand filter, in-ground. Any suggestions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.