Marcite pool,

Jun 21, 2013
Our marcite pool keeps getting green on the walls and floor. It has been shocked , brushed, pool store chemicals, It just seems to be coming back every day. All test s are good by pool store. We are thinking the marcite needs to be redone? It is rough on steps and sides, could it be pitted and holding algae in the pitting?

The algae problem isn't your pool, it's your pool store. They don't know what they are doing.

If you maintain sufficient chlorine in the pool, you won't have algae.

Welcome to TFP! We can help you manage your own pool.

First time tested told me the chlorine was locked and had to super shock it. Did that. still no results it seems to clear up then it goes back to green walls , water is clear and beautiful.It just shows up on walls and steps. Green out tahen super shock again same results. I am so tired of this. Never had this problem and I have been taking care of pools for 40 years. Could it be the marcite?

the READINGS ARE AS FOLLOWS Free Chlorine 0.6
combined chlorine 2.0
Ph. 7.2
alkalinity 80
Bromine 2.2
I use stabilized tabs tricloro-s- triazinitrone 99.2 %
We have a sand filter. Pool is about 13000 gallons

Have been using Clorox all week for chlorinating but it is not holding chlorine level. Am waiting for my test kit to come. Will I have to empty it completely ?? Water is crystal clear but algae on sides. Not as bad as in the beginnings but is still there.
I feel like I am just pouring money into the pool at this time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Until you get the good test kit you are just kinda pouring money into the pool. However, it is helping, if nothing else it's keeping it from getting worse. Once you get the good test kit you can get it under control.

You won't have to empy your pool because of the algae but you may have to drain more because of high CYA. You'll have a much better handle on it once you can test it yourself. hang in there.

I finally got test kit and my husband to help. Here are the readings.
FC=3.6 ppm
CC=.8ppm
PH=7.5
TA=200ppm
CH=180-200
CYA=70
Any help would be appreciated. Have been playing with this for 2 weeks now and every day the green comes back on the walls only. HELP

Now you can SLAM your pool correctly. Use the pool calc and enter the numbers you posted above and look at the bottom and find the shock level for your pool and raise the FC to that and test and adjust as often as you can. Every hour in the beginning is recommended.

Have you seen this chart: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

With a CYA of 70ppm (higher than our recommendation of 30-50ppm), the minimum your FC should ever be is 5ppm ... and that is after you have a clean pool. So you need to go through the SLAM process with a shock level of 28ppm or you need to replace more water to lower the CYA some more. [slam:2zmrkrhw][/slam:2zmrkrhw]

WOW ... rediculous number of fast responses. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.