Cloudy water frustration!

Jun 20, 2013
I'm a newbie to the site, but I'm on my ninth year with my pool. This is our first and probably last summer trying to open the pool with the water left in from last fall. We have an old cement pool that we have always drained in the spring, cleaned, painted or touched up and ref-filled. I thought that we could save some $$ this year by just pulling the cover off and running the vacuum, putting in the proper chemicals to get it started.

Well I'm a week and a half in and it's stilll cloudy :cry:

Here's my current stats:
ph 7.8
total alk. 180
water temp 82
free chlorine is low so I just added 3 bags of shock to a 40,000 gal pool. I added 4 gallons of liq chlorine on Monday night. Brought the chlorine levels up but still cloudy.

What am I missing that the pool is still cloudy? We added 40 oz of clarifier last night and 3 bags of shock today.

Please help with any suggestions!!

Thanks.

We need numbers for your FC and CYA levels and CH to really help you. Adding shock and actually shocking your pool are 2 different animals. Visit pool school. You should probably lower your PH to 7.2 or 7.3 with muriatic acid. Run the filter 24/7 to see if it will clear. Is the filter clean? Welcome to the forum!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.