First Time owner from St. Louis, MO

Jun 20, 2013
Hello everyone. First time pool owner. Got a steal of a deal on a house with a 21.5k inground pool. The house has been vacant for approx. 4 years. I received a sales catalog from "In the swim" that says the previous home owners last order was 2009. So i am assuming its been sitting that long. Ordered the TF-100 XL kit and should receive it Saturday!!

When we removed the cover, the water was so black that you could not even see the top step. Gross!! First order of business was to vac and shock with Clorox. Water is looking alot better, but still can not see the bottom. Are there any assumptions that I should take over the next few days until I get my test kit? I bought some of the test strips before I found this site, so they are giving me some Bromine, TC, PH & TA readings.

I would like to get a good stock on chemicals so I can attack the pool this weekend. I have tons of bleach, borax, muratic acid and baking soda. The only thing I do not have is stabilizer for low CYA. Is that something you can only get at a pool store?

Thank you all for your help.

Brandon

I wouldn't take the test strips seriously....they can be very misleading.

Wait for your test kit so you can trust the results.

Next, I would use a large leaf net to scoop out as much of the soolids as you can. Even if you can't see them.

While waiting on your kit, read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Then, read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School

That'll give you a better idea of what's coming. Hold of on the chemistry until your good test results tell us what you might need.

Another question, I am not getting very much suction at the skimmer basket. If i pull the basket and put my hand down in the skimmer I have to have my hand directly on the suction hole before I start feeling suction. Debris are floating in the top of skimmer. No improvement even after backwashing. I did notice that there is a second threaded cap in the bottom. Where could this possibly go to?

That second hole in your skimmer is intended for two things, exclusive of each other.

The first use would be for a "balance line", usually to a small opening a foot or three below the skimmer, or a connection to the main drain.

The second use, not as common, is to run several skimmers in series. Not done so much anymore because of the loss of flow rate through the skimmer system, making all skimmers less effective.

I got my test kit today! The results of my first test are below:

TC:0
PH:7.5
FC: n/a
CC: n/a
TA:110
CH:110
CYA:<20

I think everything looks ok, except the Chlor and CYA. I am going to go get some CYA and put that in a sock tonight. Shocking starts now and we will see what the water looks like tomorrow morning. Since it takes approx a week for the CYA to go up should I assume its 0 for the next few days while shocking?

Welcome to TFP!!! Please post pics! We love seeing the transformations! :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is a picture of what I am starting with. This is right before I started shocking last night:

I will take a picture of it every evening and try to keep posting them. I lost 3.5ppm FC overnight and the another 3.5ppm in the last 3 hours or so. I assume my next test in a couple hours will be worse due to the afternoon sun.

edited 12:53 6-23-13 - changed from Flickr to photobucket.

TaterGun said:
Here is a picture of what I am starting with. This is right before I started shocking last night:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97902027@N04/9110788977/

I will take a picture of it every evening and try to keep posting them. I lost 3.5ppm FC overnight and the another 3.5ppm in the last 3 hours or so. I assume my next test in a couple hours will be worse due to the afternoon sun.

Pool progress as of tonight

a4d2d24c07bf4df908b0bf47fd8f1a2c_zps53329317.jpg

Checked my FC level 4 hours after bring to shock level and the FC has not changed. This seemed a little odd. I also lowered my PH to 7.2. Things are looking better, although another trip to get more bleach tomorrow is in order.

Nothing to worry about. That happens sometimes. Slight testing errors, within the normal testing procedures can show as unchanged FC. With any chemical testing, unless you are using "in the lab" precision measuring equipment you can expect slight variations. Note: I am NOT suggesting that you use expensive lab tools, just saying that human error is normal, and will show up as little oddities now and then.

Your water has changed color a bit, so something is happening.

Just keep doing what you are doing, and you will be swimming in a clean, clear pool in no time!

Remember to check your filter pressure often (every time you test and dose) as it can and will creep up on you.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Have you replace (I'm sure you have) the sand in your sand filter yet? When you do run the filter empty to see if your skimmer suction rises. Then do the same after you add clean sand... Take note the difference to see if you possible have a foreign object/trash jammed in the plumbing lines. Address as needed.........Just a heads up :goodjob:

Kirk in Texas :)
:cheers:

Here is an update photo as of about 10 minutes ago:

Still cloudy, although I can now see the bottom of the shallow end! A quick question; the previous owners left 2 bottle of clairifier in the pool house. Would it be a bad idea to use them up to help speed up the process? I know I would never buy them, but since they are already here, I figured I would ask.

Here is an up to date photo:

It took about 10 days of shocking to get it clear. Now that the water is crystal clear I have a few new questions.

1. As you can see in the photos there are faint brown stains on the bottom and a heavy brown line along the edge of the slope and wall. I have tried scrubbing on these, with no improvement. Any tips on this?

2. I am burning through a lot of chlorine on a daily basis. I have performed the OCLT and passed with no loss. My current CYA level is 40, so I need to maintain a FC level of 3-5. My pool is on the south side of the house and gets pretty much full sun from 7 am to 7 pm. In order to keep it from going below 3 I have to bump it up to 10 (about 1.75 gallons per day) in the evening and its back to 3.5-4 by the time I get home from work the next evening. Would it be wise to increase my CYA level to lower my chlorine loss? Is assume its not as easy an increase to 50 from 40 will result in a 25% reduction of chloring, or is it that simple? I do have a bunch of pucks they left me, so if raising CYA is recommended, this could be a good way to kill 2 birds with one stone.

3. Anyone have any creative uses for bleach bottles? I have a TON of empties sitting in my garage and nothing to do with them, besides recycle.

Thanks for all the help everyone has provided me here. My family and I are having tons of fun with our "new" pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support