New Pool Owner, Cannot raise pH

Jun 13, 2013
Wilmington, NC
First off I'd like to say this forum is great. I've learned a lot in the pool school section, and am trying to apply it.

I am new to my 36,000 usg in-ground vinyl pool. It was in very rough shape when I moved in, so I had a pool company clean it up to a level I could maintain it at. It is now very clear, and I bought a K-2006 test kit and my test numbers are not ideal so I've been trying to fix them, starting with pH to no avail. I can't get it to raise AT ALL. Any suggestions?

6/18
FC - 2ppm
CC - 3ppm
pH - 7.0 (or less)
TA - 60ppm
CH - 100ppm
CYA - 70ppm (I'm ok with this being high given the almost all-day sun the pool gets)

Ok so pH was low, I added 7 lbs Arm and Hammer Baking Soda. FC was also very low, added 3 usg of 12.5% bleach (13151 on bottle).
Let filter run overnight, and currently its running 24/7.

6/19
FC - 1ppm
CC - 3ppm
pH - 7.0 (or less) STILL!?
TA - 90ppm
CYA - 70ppm (I'm ok with this being high given the almost all-day sun the pool gets)

6/20
pH is still low, went and bought 15lbs baking soda (From Dollar Store, ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate U.S.P.)
Waited 2 hours, let it circulate, after about 1 hour vacuumed bottom with filter setting to maybe stir up some that settled.
FC - 1ppm
CC - 3ppm
pH - 7.0 (or less) STILL!?
TA - 90ppm
CYA - 80ppm (I'm ok with this being high given the almost all-day sun the pool gets)

So I don't get it, 22lbs of baking soda for a 36k USG pool should definitely move the pH. I know my FC is really low, but I want to get the pH right before beginning the shock process. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for clearing that up! I'm glad I'm not going crazy. Just put 140 oz of Washing Soda in and will let that stir around. I'll check it in an hour or so and see how I'm doing.
CYA went up because I still had the remnants of some trichlor pucks in the skimmers and floater. I just took them out. Hopefully I'll start shocking tonight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.