Would a solar cover do this?

May 30, 2013
Syosset, NY
I have had a solar cover since moving in (2 years now) but never used it until this week. So I unfolded it and placed it on the pool on Sunday (June 16) and have left it on ever since (now June 20 - four days total). We've had some nice weather here (LI, NY) and the sun has been hitting it nicely and the temp of the pool has risen noticeably.

That being said, I haven't tested my water since and here's where I'm at:

6/16 6/20
FC 4.6 8.2!!
CC 0.0 0.2
pH 7.4 7.1
TA 150 140

I'm guessing I shouldn't keep my pool covered for so many days in a row? Could the solar cover real do this?? I'm using the chlorine pucks so I guess that also explains the drop in pH?

Thanks,
dr

Yup, the pucks are continuing to lower the pH and raise the FC. With the cover, the sun does not consume as much FC. What is your CYA?

FYI, if the wind is calm, you will get more heat into the pool with the cover OFF. The cover really does more to retain the heat that would be lost to evaporation off the surface, especially at night, than it does to add heat from the sun. The name "solar cover" is really not a good term.

I guess I'll look into a roller to easily take it off and on (it really is a PITA to do it yourself). My problem is that I have a diving board on one side and steps with handrails on the other. I haven't seen rollers for the long side of the pool (mine is 16x32) but I'll take a look.

My CYA is 80 which is up from 37 when I measured on June 1. Not sure how that increased though - I've only added chlorine (through the pucks), borax, and baking soda. Didn't think they would have an effect on CYA?

Thanks!
dr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.