Murky water & green stains

May 24, 2013
South Florida
I'm noticing a handful of green stains at the bottom of my pool. I recently bought the home and switched to a SWG. The plaster is old, stained, and really needs to be remarcited (it's cosmetic so I don't want to spend the money right now). Anyway, I think the green stains may have been there from the start but I'm not sure.

I should mention my FC was super high for a while (11-13) so I really don't think I have an active algae growth. I scrub and scrub and they don't come off. My FC now is 6.5.

Whenever I brush my pool sides and bottom I kick up large clouds of murky water. It gets so bad that I can't see the bottom very well. Note: I'm only brushing and do not have a robot hooked up. Perhaps I should fix the one I have or buy a new one? I can feel debris on the bottom of the pool so I'm not sure how well my bottom drain is working.

Suggestions?

What type brush are you using?

Have you tried rubbing a trichlor tab on the stain? If it lightens, the stain is organic and will fade w/time and higher chlorine levels.

If no joy, then try rubbing/holding cheap viitamin C tabs on the stain (crush some in a sock). If it lightens, the stain is caused by metals.

doglover78 said:
I hear you. Any idea what the murkiness (when brushing) and green stains could be from?
Go back up a couple posts and see directions to test the stain to see what caused the stain and the suggested OCLT to help rule out organics as a reason for the murkiness.

You also need another brush:
Nylon is for vinyl, fiberglass, tile, and plaster that is less than one year. (Plaster includes any exposed aggregate and marcite finish, btw!) Combo brushes are for older plaster. All stainless are for algae (very stubborn green algae and also the ONLY brush for black algae.)

You CAN unscrew the Wall Whale from the nylon brush it comes with and screw it on a combo brush if your plaster is over a year old. Newer plaster is really too soft for anything other than a nylon brush.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.