Tree Fell in the Pool :-(

May 29, 2012
We had some pretty gnarly storms last week with a couple tornados touching down. As luck would have it, my neighbors tree fell in our pool. Luckly it doesn't look like there's any damage to my NEW liner (still holding water), however there's a Tree in the pool & the water looks terrible. Once the tree is out, do you guys have an idea on what it would cost to get the water back to normal & the smaller debris out? I do not want to deal with the mess this time & am hiring someone to get it back to clear.

Oh, Here's some pictures.

I would not pay someone to clear the pool for you as they will certainly not follow the recommendations found here. Likely they will just throw a boat load of chlorine in the pool once and then you have to hope that they did not just bleach out your new liner. You will always take care of your pool better than someone with no skin in the game.

Good luck.

You also need to be sure whoever removes the tree is careful not to damage the liner as well. There is enough tree in there that someone dragging out limbs could damage the liner.

woodyp said:
Did the pool wall crater in?

Doesn't look like it, Plus it's still holding water.

zea3 said:
You also need to be sure whoever removes the tree is careful not to damage the liner as well. There is enough tree in there that someone dragging out limbs could damage the liner.

I actually started removing the tree last night myself. I figured I could trust my self more than anyone else to be easy on it. I've just been cutting small sections at a time & it's working out pretty good.

I'm wanting to know the cost to clean for insurance reasons. Either way, I'm having someone come out Tuesday to give me a quote, but I'm just trying to go ahead & figure out the total.

From the pics you posted, can't tell how bad the water really is. If you can still see the bottom, i would put the normal amount of chlorine you use to shock the pool, run it and see. Maybe some more direct pics of the water to see how bad it is?

You can get some written estimates from local pool services to submit to the insurance, then clean the pool yourself. Looks like your slide is toast. Any other equipment damaged?

The water is pretty bad. There's a ton of sediment & leaves on the bottom, along with some large limbs. I spent nearly all day Saturday getting the rest of the tree out of the pool & skimmed the top & some of the bottom. Everything went pretty good, just very time consuming because every single cut had to be thought out & I was doing it alone.

One of my worries is there's a hole in the liner. I haven't lost any water, however, the water has a redish tint, which I assume could be leaching from our GA clay. My gut is telling me it's just caused from the bark & leaves. Hopefully I'm right!
I have pictures, but will have to load them later. They're too big & I've got a busy morning, so editing them will have to wait.

Okay, I finally got around to editing the picture to fit. As expected, It's not holding Chlorine. My good test kit was lost somewhere under the tree that fell, so today I'm going to get a new kit. I used some test strips this morning after adding a ton of chlorine last night & it's hardly reading anything at all. :hammer:

This picture was taken a few days ago. Now the water is a dark red color.
Still holding water though! :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.