Testing levels on spot, water cloudy

Jun 20, 2013
Hello!
I have a 13,000 gallon above ground pool with a sand filter. Our cover didn't last and our pool was green when we opened it. Tested and pH high, TA low and CYA low. Use muriatic acid to bring pH down (brought it too far down) used soda ash to bring it back up. Put 2lbs of stabilizer in.
Got levels to:
pH: 7.2
FC: 3
TA: 120
CYA: 30-50

The water is still cloudy. You can see the bottom, but it's not clear. I have been running the filter 24/7. What is my next step?
Jennifer

Welcome to TFP!

Your TA is fine, but your chlorine is too low for your CYA if it's really 50ppm. You really want to be holding it at shock level, but without an accurate CYA level that isn't easy to do accurately.

Adding 2lbs of CYA to your pool will put you up on the high side at close to 70ppm if your 30-50ppm was before you added it.

jenniferangel81 said:
I sprinkled it around the pool

If it was granules, hope you did not just cause faded spots in the liner. I suggest you brush and brush to make sure nothing is sitting on the bottom.

See all the links in my previous post for your next steps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool School shock process. As quickly as you can get a good test kit that will read FC and CC, meaning the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006.

In the mean time, you need to get some CYA into that pool. Walmart, or your local hardware store with a decent pool section should have it. Usually labeled conditioner or stabilizer. Last resort, pool store.

Use the Pool Calculator to find out how much you need. Shoot for an initial level of 30 ppm, and later when you have a clear pool that has passed the OCLT (also in the Pool School) you can bring it up to around 50 ppm.

No. At this point you treat your FC as if you are already at your target CYA level. It does take several days for the compounds that react with the reagent to show up.

Sorry, I missed where you had added the dry already.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.