mbar

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 24, 2007
Ashland PA
Hi, Some of you may know me from the pool forum. My name is Marie, I live in Northeast Pa, married with 7 children (three mine four his) 5 grandchildren. I don't work, or I should say I don't get paid for my work :roll:. I have a fiberglass pool 16 x 32 x 6'. I had the pool installed 8 years ago. When I was single (I was a single mom for 12 years) I had an 18' round above ground pool. I loved it! After I got married, 10 years ago, I really missed having a pool, so two years later we put in the fiberglass. I started with the pool company, and of course they talked me into baquacil :twisted: The first year seemed fine. The second summer was ok, except towards the end of the summer I got water mold, so after spending many $ I decided to go to bleach the next year. Had the pool company close my pool with the knowledge that I would open with chlorine. Well, needless to say what a mess!!! My pool turned a really strange color green, I had no idea it was due to the baquacil that was left in the water, and so it seems that the pool guys didn't either. They threw so many chemicals in the water I am surprised that it didn't explode. I kept telling them that it didn't look like algae - it looked like a chemical reaction, because it was neon :shock: With all the calcium they threw in, my water turned a milky neon green. That's when I decided to take matters into my own hands. I went on the internet, and in researching pool problems I came accross the Pool Forum :-D I did get my water balanced, but the green didn't go away, it wasn't neon anymore, just a light tinted green instead of blue. Then I noticed that when I backwashed and the water level went down, my lovely white pool was no longer white, but yellow :shock: And that my dear friends is how I was introduced to pool staining :cry: I made it my mission to learn as much about pool stains as I could. I am still learning, but I am happy to share any knowledge that I have gained over the last 5 years. So now my husband calls me the stain nazi - I am always looking for the little buggers :evil: My kids all know where to find me in the morning - outside doing pool matainance. I love it, and I look forward to it all winter. I even have my 3 year old granddaughter counting down the month till we can open the pool!
Hope I didn't bore you, but wanted to sign in and say hi to everyone. It is good to see so many from the pool forum on this board :-D

Hi, Marie,

Good to "see" you.

For those of you not aware, Marie is the guru of pool stains and metals in water. She's "been there, done that" and has a good understanding of how to deal with stains and metals........in a practical manner.

Marie, we all hope you'll spend lots of time on the forum :lol:

Marie,
Glad you made it over here! Your expertise in stains and metal matters is greatly appreciated! "Stain Nazi"!!!!!! I love it, it fits you well! :wink: I can just see you shouting at the pool with a German Accent " You vill chelate and like it!" :whip:

Welcome, Marie!

Sounds like you were really baptized by fire when it came to learning about metals and staining... did not realize all of that from PF, just that you were the metals guru... I like your moniker 'stain Nazi' better!

:thequeen:

He, He, Yeah, I am the Stain Nazi!! I hate them. I have four friends that got fiberglass pools since I have mine, and I have attacked thier stains too! I guess it comes from so many years of cleaning house - with all the kids, I always attacked the stains in the house the same way, like a dog with a bone I won't give up :lol: I have learned a lot from all the posters who post the results they get when dealing with stains. That's why these boards are so great!! Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

I really don't know too much about plaster, Here is what I know - stains that are from encapsulated scale - dirt that got caught under scale that formed, and places where the plaster has pitted, or wore off, can only be treated by either acid wash or replaster. If it is an iron stain, ascorbic acid should take it off. If it is organic high chlorine will take it off. You can tell if a stain is organic or mineral by putting a sock full of ph down on the stain - if it lifts, it is mineral. If you put a chlorine puck or a sock full of chlorine granuals on the stain, and it gets lighter - it's organic. Unfortunately, old stains in plaster are usually due to some breakdown of the plaster. Hope this helps. Thanks for the kind words :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support