Need help with choosing pump & filter ASAP

Jul 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Hope to have 26' Intex full of water by Sunday afternoon. It came with cartridge filter which I'm hoping to not even hook up. Total newbie here so flying somewhat blind ....

Looking at 21" Sand Filter ... it appears to come with Tank, Valve, & Stand
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EV ... PDKIKX0DER

Looking at either a 1 or 1.5 hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed pump ...
http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP15922S- ... s=sp15922s

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP15932S- ... _1?s=lawn-
garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1371753651&sr=1-1&keywords=sp15932s

Questions are ...
-Which is better - 1hp or 1.5hp ?
-Pump seems to only come with cord. I know I need to run wiring out to the pool and that I need sand for the filter. Is there ANYTHING else I need to get the filter & pump up and running (ie pump stand, hoses, etc)?

MANY MANY THANKS!!
Karen

First, for your pool size of around 15.5k gallons, we would recommend a minimum of a 23" diameter sand filter.

For the pump, with a basic pool and not water features, you only need a small pump and it will use less electricity, so certainly the 1HP over the 1.5HP ... BUT, I would seriously consider a 2-speed motor as you will save a significant % off your electrical usage by running on low.

You need to look into the code for hooking up the electrical. Either hard wiring the pump or using a twist lock plug if the pump is near the pool.
The pump and filter should sit on some form or equipment pad ... the plastic air conditioning ones are often used.
You will also need some way to connect the pool to the pump and filter ... so either hoses or hard plumbing.

Jason - thanks for the quick reply!!

Re the pumps - both of the ones I'm considering are 2 speed. Just mainly trying to determine if I should go with 1HP vs 1.5HP. It'll be a basic setup for now. The only thing I foresee adding (next year) is possibly one of the home-made PVC fountains (looks like a good project for my 15yo son) and maybe a solar panel. So having said that ... which is better?

Re the twist lock cord ... based on the model # is seems neither of these are twist-lock. In searching Amazon I can't seem to find one with a twist lock ..... ??

For the equipment pad I have concrete pavers that we plan to put together for a "pad". Will this work? Does the pump have to be "attached" to something or will it just sit on the pavers?

Re the hoses/hard plumbing - can all that we need be bought from Lowes and/or Home Depot or must we buy some things from a pool store?

Well, serves me right for not clicking on the link.

Go with the 1HP 2-speed. It is cheaper to buy and will be cheaper to run. Looks like they do not come with cords. So you will either have to hardwire the pump into a timer or on/off switch or add a cord (might need to be twist-lock ... check your codes) and wire in an outlet.

The pavers should work the pad, usually the filter and pump just sit on the pad.
You should be able to get all your hoses/plumbing from the hardware store. I recall reading needing some adapters to work with the Intex fittings ... search the forum there is a lot of info about Intex pools.

No worries on not looking at the links :)

For background sake - single mom here, little/no pool knowledge (although this site is helping with all of that), not very handymanish so the whole electrical/hard wiring, volts/amps, etc is throwing me a bit. Pool installer is doing me a favor and I'm trying to make install as easy as possible, which should also equate to less installation costs. I have read thru the various Intex info on the site ... lots of it ... and all has been very helpful. Not yet ready to jump to cutting the liner & installing the skimmer ....

My Intex is already 1.5" so hoping the pump / filter will hook right up ....

The 1HP 2 speed does not seem to come in a twist-lock cord + timer edition. Is it just me or does it not exist without ordering the various parts and "piecing" it together? At some point, I am paying about as much for the filter, pump, twist lock, timer, etc as I did for the pool ($850)....... :(

Sounds like you need a bigger more expensive pool to justify the equipment cost .... JK ;)

A pool without the proper filter and pump is just a pond ... soon to turn green. By planning ahead to getting the right equipment you will help yourself keep the pool clear from the beginning. Which reminds me, have you already ordered one of the Recommended Test Kits as that is a VITAL piece of equipment.

I have never setup one of these pools, so I am not sure what to tell you about the plumbing.
Also, the type of electrical setup depends on your local codes and where you are planning to put the pump/filter. Whether you go twist lock or hardwire really is no different in the work to do it ... although it may be a little cheaper to hardwire and add a timer or on/off switch. But, if you are going to be breaking the equipment down and storing the pump inside for the winters, then the twist lock would be beneficial (but you could add it later).

I think those pumps come with a speed selection switch and actually the 1HP says it comes with a cord/plug. I think the twist lock is only required if you put the pump close to the pool.

Yeah I hear you on the "bigger more expensive pool" ... twice already I have about made the decision to pack this thing up and take it back to WalMart ... but I won't even get started on that topic.

We are forging ahead with this thing and hoping for the best. After all the trouble to get this thing up, we will likely NOT be taking it down in the winter, but your point about storing the pump is duly noted. As is your comment about a possible "pond" .... heading over to Amazon right now !!

THANK YOU for bearing with my limited knowledge ... and yes, already have the test kit ... I ordered the TF100. Hoping to go ahead & test some water tonight :)

You are going to find that the Intex style is not compatible with normal pool equipment. You and your son will have to make the adapters. Not a hard thing to do.

As was said earlier, there are plenty of threads on this forum on how to do it, also a few good videos on youtube.

In reality, if you did eventually plan to increase the pool size, you would be able to use the same pump. And if you oversize the filter some, you would be able to use the same filter as well.

Good choice on the test kit :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.