Balance even though H20 is green?

Jun 27, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Hi All,

I know the water has to be in balance before any attempt at the shocking process; however, should I be brushing/cleaning/vacuuming as well as running the pump and backwashing before adding any chemicals to the water?

I've taken out all the leaves/debris, just stuck on this next step.

Thanks.

saysomething said:
Just to clarify: I should spend a couple days cleaning manually before testing my water and adding anything?
You won't be able to get rid of the green by filtering or scooping. But everything you can remove manually will reduce the amount of bleach and the time it takes to clear the water.

My advice:
Get the pump and filter running.
Use a leaf rake - that's a special kind of mesh bag that fits on the pole - and drag out as much debris as you can. Brush the walls.
After and hour of dragging and brushing and pool circulating, test the water. It will be well-mixed by then.
If CYA is too high, now's the time to drain, and vacuuming to waste would be my suggestion for how to do it. If CH is astronomical, the same thing applies.
Adjust the pH and measure out whatever CYA you might need to add to get to about 30.
When pH is right and CYA is on its way to being right, hit it with bleach. Continue pulling out leaves, vacuuming, and brushing. Keep replenishing bleach.
Don't bother testing anything but FC and CC until it's clear. It's easy to fine tune the levels once the water is clear.

Plenty of detailed instructions can be found in Pool School or in the Algae forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.