Swamp water that wont clear

sludge

Jun 20, 2013
When opening the pool I had a huge mess. I even had a big bullfrog.
Since it was so nasty, I took a sample to the pool store before I touched it.
My CYA was at 0. They said there would be no CYA reading until after there was a chlorine reading. So I was told to start shocking it hard. I shocked for 2 weeks without any change. I went ahead and added CYA because the chlorine was disappearing as soon as it hit the water. A week later I finally get a chlorine reading and CYA registers. My current stats are...

16x32 vinyl pool. Appr. 25,000 gallons
Sand Filter
Saturation Idx: .5
TDS: 1700
Total Chlorine: 3
Free Chlorine 4
PH 8 "always jumps up after adding bleach"?
Total Alkalinity 94
Hardness: 288
Temp 80

I have wasted so much money already trying to clear it up. I was told that maybe my sand filter was channeled. I replaced all sand. No broken laterals. PSI runs around 13. Can only see about a foot and a half into the water. Have added some DE to skimmer. Nothing seems to chage. Have had this pool for 3 years. First year ok, 2nd year- lots of trouble, this year is horrible...

Besides bleach, I have pucks in the water to keep a chlorine reading

Welcome! :wave:

The biggest mistake was letting someone else test it and tell you what to put in.

It can be cleared. We have plenty of directions scattered throughout the site and tons of information in Pool School.

A little inspiration:
pretty-black-pool-t58442.html
first-time-pool-owner-t61565.html
a-little-encouragement-for-those-with-algae-and-new-to-bbb-t57137.html
frog-filled-green-swamp-to-oasis-work-in-progress-t48213-20.html be sure to look at page 2
before-and-after-t36785.html
a-final-picture-set-of-how-well-the-bbb-method-works-t33199.html

You might detect a pattern...they have their own test kit and it takes a while.

I need to get a test kit, Im only using strips... I have 2 pool stores within a 3 mile radius and usually take a sample to both places to see how close they are in readings... Thanks so much for the links, getting ready to investigate! :)

CYA is still 40

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.