estimate percent borates, phosphate algae

May 21, 2012
Hi,

Thanks for the great education btw. I've read the basics about borates (recommended by you all), and phosphate lowering agents (not recommended, mostly due to expense).

It is impossible to be precise, but can one of the experts give me an idea of how effect these are at preventing algae?

Lets assume every now and then I get lazy or let my FC drop. For example, my kids throw a spontaneous party with a dozen friends. FC drops while i'm at work to zero. etc. etc.

Would dropping phosphates to near zero make it 10% less likely i get an outbreak? 50%?

Would borates be similar? 50%?

Can I get a best guess number?

Thanks

Adequate chlorine prevents algae....nothing else substitutes.

If you let your chlorine drop too low with regularity, you are going to get algae and no amount of borates or phosphate remover will prevent it.

Considering their use as a work-around in lieu of chlorine results in losing your focus of what it takes to manage pool water properly....chlorine

Thanks. I imagine lots of people ask, and i don't mean to offend you. In my setting i really don't care about the money, and the effort to use the phosphate lowering product is almost zero---add, backwash anyway, re-add, etc. I'm led to believe there is some benefit, i was just wondering if it could be quantified. If it does almost nothing, i obviousily won't do it. If it reduces the likelihood somewhat (30%+) i would use it. And still try my best to keep the FC levels up etc.

central nj said:
i really don't care about the money, and the effort to use the phosphate lowering product is almost zero
The level of effort and expense varies wildly depending on the phosphate level of your fill water. If your fill water contains significant phosphate levels, as mine does(2000+), it is nearly impossible to get the phosphate level down to something that would have any effect at all on algae. Phosphate remover can also cause the water to cloud up, sometimes for a short time, sometimes for days or weeks at a time. On the other hand there are situations where the phosphate level is naturally quite low and removing the tiny bit of remaining phosphate is quite easy (and often effective).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.