Fill Tomorow

nupoolsoon

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
getting our fill water tomorrow...finally!!

I was reading the water balance tips and the replies say to get your FC in line first or if your TA is out of line, to begin there. I will run out to Aldi's later to buy some bleach and I have 2 4# boxes of baking soda and 2 - 4# boxes of borax. Seems I should have more on hand for a "just in case" scenario??

1) Do I pour all the bleach in at the same time on the first day (based on the pool calculator). Then how long will it take to circulate so I can test the chlorine levels again?

2) Once the chlorine levels are in range, do I then add 1/2 of the CYA? would I do this the same day, next day...?

3) Will the chlorine take care of the shocking?

4) when does the salt come in to play? I will be buying the Morton's blue bag, but when would I add all of that?

It is going to be close to 90 this weekend here and I will not be able to keep the kids out of the pool, but want it safe enough to swim, but not overloaded with chemicals either that will make their eyes red and hair green..LOL. And our yard gets full blown sun as well. Too bad I did not have time to experiment for a few weeks b/f the heat was thrown at us.

I will post all of my numbers tomorrow, but need tor un out today for "the goods"

Any other suggestions. Thx.

A soon as you have the pool full and the pump running add 2 ppm of chlorine. Add 2 ppm of chlorine again the first evening.

Get some CYA in there on the first day.

Starting on the second day you can start testing the water and adding chlorine to bring it up to a normal level based on the amount of CYA you added. After a week you can test the CYA level and base the FC level on the actual CYA number.

There is no need to shock if you are filling with drinking water and don't see algae. If filling from a pond or stream you would want to shock before swimming.

You can add salt as soon as you have circulation going. Salt doesn't interact with any of the other numbers.

All of the other additions and adjustments depend on your water test results.

If you fill the pool with drinking water you can usually get in nearly right away. You need to check the levels and add some chlorine, which will only take a few minutes. Only if the numbers are way off, or you filled very slowly and got algae before you could start circulating, would you need to wait to swim. The water might be very cold at first however.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.