pump motor w/1.65 SF replaced with one w/1.25 SF?

lnmnmns

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 20, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
I know that when you buy a replacement pump motor, it should be replaced with one that has the same SF (service factor)...BUT what happens if a motor w/a 1.65 SF was replaced with a motor with only a 1.25 SF anyway?....

Thanks to questions that were answered here, I knew exactly what type of replacement motor that I needed...AO Smith SQ1102...SF 1.65, 1.0 full-rated Hp, etc. Unfortunately, I listened to my pool store owner. He sold me a different motor assuring me over and over again (ask my husband...even he was getting embarrassed with all my questions as to the motor's SF, Hp, full-ratedness) that this motor "would work" with my pump. It's working but when I actually looked at the motor after it was running (I was really in a hurry), I noticed that it has a SF of 1.25, not 1.65. I'm thinking that I need to take this one back and get one with a SF of 1.65. It's for a Dura-glas II pump model #P4R6E-187L.

Thanks again for any input!

lnmnmns,

Can you post the full information shown on the motor nameplate? It sounds like the pool store may have sold you the wrong motor, but we can't be sure without full nameplate data from both motors to compare.

I have a good background in motors, but I have to tell you that the pool industry has really REALLY messed up things with their strange Service Factor numbers and their even stranger Full vs Max rated nonsense. Even I am confused by the ratings on pool motors. JasonLion, however, seems to be fully up to speed on pool motors.

Titanium

Okay...the label information is as follows:

Century Centurion - AO Smith
Cat B853 Part 7-177215-04 Type CX
Hp 1.0 SF 1.25 PH 1
Hz 60 RPM 3450 Volts 230/115 (we use 230)
Amps SF 7.1/14.2
Time cont Encl DP Form KJM
Code J
1081 Pool Pump Duty

Thanks Titanium!

What about the old motor label?

Another option would be to get an impeller to match the motor you have now. The current one is probably overloading the motor by 30% or so. Does the motor run very hot? If not, then perhaps the motor can handle the extra load. If it is running real hot, then you might need to change the impeller as well.

If your old motor was a .75 hp with a 1.65 service factor then the brake HP is .75 x 1.65 = 1.24 brake hp.
The new motor is 1 x 1.25 = 1.25 brake hp.
If this is the case it is the right motor.
If your old motor was NOT a .75 hp motor then it's not the right motor.

The DuraGlass II P4R6E-187L is a full rated 1 hp pump so you do NOT have the right motor. You have a 3/4 hp motor for the uprated 1 hp P4R6E-186L (and the full rated .75 hp P4E6D-186L). I would change it. The pool store guy sold you the wrong motor! You can tell him that another pool store guy caught his error. :wink: (My guess is that he didn't have the correct motor in stock and didn't want to lose the sale.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.