Can anybody explain this?

Rossko

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2013
Oklahoma City, OK
Recently got my SWG back online after 1.5 year issues.

I've been adjusting the % cell on to try to keep my FC in target range, it's down to 20% - has been running just a tad high so I've been backing down slowly.

What I'm finding is my FC level is staying very level both in the AM before sun up and in PM after sun off water (I'm currently testing every AM and every PM). I figured I would see higher readings in the morning and lower readings after a sunny day - but it's actually been very stable at both test points. I'm not really complaining I just don't get why it doesn't go down during the day. We have had full sun 85-100 degree days most of the last 7 days.

The reason I'm asking is b/c I run my pump 23.5 hours/day and I'm so on top of my pool b/c of this website now I'm thinking of shutting the pump down at night - since my ONCL test is 0 I should only have to produce chlorine while the sun is on the water - and the day is when we'll be swimming so skimmers can clear off the floaters in daytime - and I save on electric bill - DO other SWG owners see the same thing?

Since you are running nearly 24 hours a day, you will see a very stable FC level. I run 6 hrs at 50% and I don't get much of a swing as it is. SWGs chlorinate differently than manual dosing and tend to be more stable. I think you would find that less run time at a higher setting will be just fine....and save you money.

Do you have a full set of test results? I'm curious what your CYA is.

I run my pump about 8 hrs a day and my water is crystal clear. Unless you have a multispeed pump running at a very slow speed, you are wasting a lot. Cut the time and turn up the %.

Yeah, thanks guys - that's what I'm planning (after I get back from vacation).

Full numbers:

FC 6
pH 7.5
TA 100
CYA 50
CH 450
Salt 3300

I am bringing my CYA up - my SWG was on the blink so I was holding it at 40 for a while and just using bleach - now that the SWG is up and running again I'm bringing the CYA up to about 60-70 - have been going slow b/c wanted to make sure the SWG didn't go down again ANd I'm about to go on vacation. Just added some yesterday - should be about 60 but going to wait until tonight to check it.

Rossko,

Bring your CYA up slowly so you don't overshoot your target. Also, your CH looks a little high. You don't want scaling, especially with a SWCG. I have Jandy equipment and the recommended CH is 175-400 according to Jandy. I run mine on the low end of that range. It took a while for me to dial in my SWCG. I have a single speed pump and I currently run mine at 40% for 10 hours a day. During the winter I ran it at 10% for 4 hours a day.

Good luck.

Dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.