Making existing pool longer for laps?

Jun 19, 2013
Sunny Florida
Hey everyone, I am buying my first home! Being able to swim laps would be great, but the home we are considering has a kidney shaped pool which is nice, but I would love a longer pool. From the survey, the pool appears to be 35 ft in length. I have read that most people need at need 45 ft to be comfortable???

So...how difficult is it to extend the length of a pool near the shallow end/spa end? What would be a possible price? $10k? $15k? Or am I way off in price?

Thanks so much!!!! I'm so excited to own a pool and swim!

I can't imagine it being cheap to add on to existing pool. I would also worry that it would look funny, possibly funny enough to hurt re-sale ability in the future. Unless you maybe extend entire end of pool, vs. adding an small long area like a swimlane.

I was thinking of extending the entire end of the shallow end of the pool. It is now kidney shaped. So, I guess we would be remodeling from kindey to free form. Has anyone done any pool remodeling to make a pool larger? I am having a hard time finding pics of this. :(

I like the current idea, but I would love a longer pool. Thanks for showing me that. The over the pool unit looks easy to break/get water in the motor. If I extend the pool, I will add one of these in ground.

Do you know how the pool is constructed? Do you know the pools wall/floor material? Have you called any local pool builders to ask them if they would even consider taking on a job such as this. Seems like a lot would ride on your government inspector. I'm sure it can be done, anything can be done, but you are talking about the cost of building a small new pool. The problem is that you have to tie it in to a existing structure that has to be demoed. I'm going out on a limb with a wild guess that you are looking at 30K easily.

Have you considered buying and building a pool, certainly would open up more house possibilities.....

In fact, you could easily look up the building inspector, call and ask them if they would approve it.

Here is a page from a local builder who expanded a pool. Mind you, this was a massive project and probably cost close to $100K (fireplace, waterfall, conversion of spa to walk in pool bar, new spa and expanded pool size). I'm inclined to agree with harleysilo on the price, if you could restrain yourself. As HS mentioned, you need to do the demo and resurfacing the whole pool, coping and tile to match. Then add in the expensive swim system and extra pump(s).

The pictures are in the middle of this page:
http://poolsbybackyardcreations.com/Remodeling.aspx

It only takes an hour or two to have a PB visit and give you an estimate. Otherwise you'll never know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.