Pool Pump RPM's

MNPoolboy

In The Industry
Jun 19, 2013
Minnesota
I am a new pool owner (1.5yrs), and have recently realized (duh!) that I need to be more involved in my pool. The builder basically told me, "don't touch anything, bring us water, drop in the polaris once a week". My Aqua Pure 1400 SWG was scaled beyond cleaning capability, and so....here I am. I have learned alot about chemicals in these forums, but have decided to venture into my pools pumping to make sure I have it set to proper operation/cleaning/cost effectiveness, and longevity of the motor. I apologize if this has been posted, but from what I've read, each pool is different when it comes to this. My pool is in MN, is 20x40, vinyl lined, two skimmers, two drains, has a Jandy variable speed 1.5 horse epump, separate booster pump for the (piece of *%*^&) polaris 280, gas heater, Aqua Pure 1400 SWG and a autocover. The pump/heater/filter/equip. etc. is approximately 25ft. away, with 2in. pipes. My pool guy has all the pump settings set at 2750, which seems high to me. (you can make a circle in the pool floating in about 10 minutes, like a lazy river) I was also told that my swg needs to have at least 1700rpm in order to produce salt. Any help or clarification on things I've been told would help. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

In general you want to run the pump at the lowest speed that will work well with your skimmers and SWG, but not slower than 1000 RPM. The exact speed that will keep the SWG happy varies from pool to pool. 1700 RPM is plausible, but many pools work just fine at 1000 RPM, you can check to be sure fairly quickly by trying it out. The SWG will give you a low flow rate error if you set it too slow, and then you want to go up at least 200 RPM from the first speed that just works to allow for a dirty filter slowing the flow rate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.