I have no idea how to start.

H-Man

Jun 17, 2013
Ventura, CA
My neighbor's pool (in signature) is suffering from algae, last test with test strips gave this:
PH:7.5
CC:0
FC:0
CH: >1000
CYA: 100-150
TA: 260
I can't drain it to the sewer because of a local ordinance, I can't drain it to the storm drains because the CYA is >50 ppm. Neighbors used trichlor (36 oz every week,) dichlor, and cal hypo shock (32 oz every week) to treat the pool. I need help getting this pool under control.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Sorry to be the one to bring the bad news, but you have to figure out a way to replace water to get the CH and more importantly the CYA back down to reasonable numbers. You are doomed before you start to try anything else.

I have never heard of a limit on draining placed on high CYA in the water ... never heard of that. In fact it is dumb and makes no sense to me. IF you have 150ppm in the pool, then run run 1 hose to drain of the pool water and 2 more hoses to the drain of water from the spigot with 0ppm and that will mix down to 50ppm when it enters the drain.

Where do you live? There is the option of Reverse Osmosis, but it is EXTREMELY limited in availability.

Welcome! :wave:

Well then, someone's lawn is going to resemble a rice paddy!

CYA will break down eventually into ammonia, which actually is fertilizer.

And yes, you will need lots of help getting the pool under control if you're relying on test strips. Have you studied Pool School at all?

The owners of this pool won't listen when I warned them in march that the pool store was profit driven. I've read the sticky on the BBB method and the algae buster method. If it was up to me, I would get a proper test kit ASAP.

EDIT: The backwash outflow has part of the property dedicated to it. How much land do I need to get rid of 15,000 gallons?

H-Man said:
The owners of this pool won't listen when I warned them in march that the pool store was profit driven. I've read the sticky on the BBB method and the algae buster method. If it was up to me, I would get a proper test kit ASAP.

EDIT: The backwash outflow has part of the property dedicated to it. How much land do I need to get rid of 15,000 gallons?
I don't have a clue.

By the way...how will they know if you run the drain hose into a sewer cleanout? I know all about not letting stuff into the storm drains, but sanitary sewers run to a treatment plant.
http://portal.countyofventura.org/porta ... 20Info.pdf Doesn't prohibit water into the sanitary sewer.

Well, did the neighbor ask for your help? If they are not going to listen, then wash your hands of the situation and let them deal with it by throwing ridiculous amounts of $ at it.

I can backflush to the sanitary sewer, but not drain to the sanitary sewer. The owners will listen eventually, part of the problem is that I forgot that most people don't read the labels (I warned them about trichlor and dichlor but didn't make the connection with them using the pucks because of stress from school kept me from thinking about it long enough to remember that the pucks are trichlor :brickwall: .)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.