DE in sand filter

Jun 27, 2012
I've always added a cup of DE to my sand filter to get the sparkly water, once i add it my water pressure drops a small bit from the return and i usually have to backwash every 2-3 weeks. I plan on adding a solar heater to the pool with about a 12 rise where the panel will be, i'm worried that will DE being put into the filter that i won't have enough pressure to make it effective. If i only add 1/2 or 1/4 cup of DE, is that still better then no DE or am i wasting my time? Just want to make sure i have enough water flow to hit the panel and come back.

You should not need DE in the filter regularly at all. That little bit of flow reduction (honestly it should not be noticeable, so maybe you are using too much DE anyways) should not be a go/no go problem with the solar.

I'll cut it down to a 1/2 cup and see what the water pressure is. Easy solution is just get a DE filter which I'd like to do soon

Should have the heater installed by next weekend. Any tips for mounting 1 on a roof?

Have you tried not using DE? 99+% of members with sand filters do not use DE ... maybe occasionally if they have a clouding problem.

Depends on the brand of panels and the type of roof ... best I can advise is follow the instructions.

Without DE I get enough water flow to spin the solar cover. I just like the extra sparkle I get from using the DE. May just switch to using it before parties and picnics. Last year my buddy commented that I had the clearest shiniest water he's ever seen

If you can physically detect a reduction in your flow when you add DE, you are using w-a-a-ay too much.

You should only get a 1 psi rise on your pressure gauge and not detect ANY loss of flow.

How much does the pressure rise when you are adding the DE?
You started saying you are adding a cup, now you are saying you add a 1/4 cup? Or is that a 1/4 cup at a time?

May have found my problem. I took the filter apart last night and the plastic mesh under the valve was clogged to h&%l and back twice. Cleaned it up and added 1/4 cup of eartg and no reduction at all. Gonna add another 1/4 cup tonight and see what happens. The solar heater will be here next week. I remember last year it took about 3/4 to a full cup to get the 1 psi rise and it would take 3-4 weeks for a backwash.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.