Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete Staining ??

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete Staining ??

Just converted my 3 year old in ground liner pool to salt and so far I love it but now I have a problem that may or may not be related. I paid to have the stamped concrete deck around the pool sealed and after about 1 week I am starting to see these white rings in the sealer. The white rings are most evident around the spill over spa where a lot of water gets spilled.

1. Could this be due to the saltwater ?
    2. They powerwashed the deck but could it not have been prepared correctly ?

Thanks
    20*40 Liner 2'-8' deep, Spill Over SPA, Electric Cover, Jandy Purelink (Aquapure & PDA), Hayward SP2610x15 (1.5HP Single Speed), Hayward H300 (Millavolt)

2. Back To Top    #2

Aswetich,

If you wet it and it goes away, it's most likely not salt. Salt is very soluble so that it will readily dissolve into solution when wetted.
    If you can provide photos of what you're describing, that would help.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

3. Back To Top    #3

I am out of town now but will take pictures when I get back. I tried powerwashing it off and it only faded a bit but did not go away.
    20*40 Liner 2'-8' deep, Spill Over SPA, Electric Cover, Jandy Purelink (Aquapure & PDA), Hayward SP2610x15 (1.5HP Single Speed), Hayward H300 (Millavolt)

4. Back To Top    #4

Minerals, calcium, perhaps?
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

5. Back To Top    #5

Buggs, I'm with you on it being a calcium type residue....and I know you're familiar with high calcium being in Arizona.
    Unfortunately if it is calcium, once you get to the stage where it leaves its mark behind, there's only a hammer and chisel to remove it...or a mild acid treatment.

6. Back To Top    #6

Does not wash or powerwash off

Here are the pic of what it looks like. It's only around the SPA and getting worse ..
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

I wouldn't want to guess as I am not too familiar with deck related staining, but this is not salt related. It looks to be a water ring mark on your deck, pre-sealing? Have you had the company that sealed your deck come out and look at it? It's difficult to say because you mentioned that even pressure washing it did not get rid of it. That's why I think it's something that may have occured to began to form, before it was sealed. Or it could be the sealer itself...

Like I said, I would hate to guess, OK, I am guessing above, but I can say that I'm 99.9% confident it is not salt related.

Please let us know when you find out what it is.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks

The rings were NOT there before the sealing so I am assuming it's a sealing issue if the salt water is not causing the problem. I already paid the concrete guy and left multiple messages to no avail !!! What's up with people in the trades ??

9. Back To Top    #9
    I'm not sure that salt makes a difference here, but some concrete sealers (some of those used in acid-staining to produce a 'wet look') can turn cloudy/white with prolonged exposure to water

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!