Changing JHP 2Hp to JHP 1.5Hp

Jun 19, 2013
Hi All
I've 20k gallon in-ground pool with two JHP 2.0-2Hp pumps (10 years old), one for the fountain and other for the vacuum. Recently, one pump was down and needed a new motor. I found a full set (complete) which is JHP 2.0-1.5Hp for only $500 OTD, but I don't know it (a new one) will be OK for my pool's volume primarily using for the vacuum. Please help!
Thanks

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

The pool's volume has nothing to do with sizing the pump. The size of the pump is dependant on your water flow needs (water feature, spa, etc).

Likely the 2HP and even the 1.5HP are way larger than you truly need. What type of vacuum do you have?

I would suggest looking for a 1HP 2-speed motor to use on the filtration side ... use high when you want to run the vacuum and run on low to save money on electricity when you do not need the vacuum.

Thanks jblizzle.
The new pump that I plan to buy is Jandy JHP 2.0--1.5Hp completely build set that sitting on a local shop's shelves over 5 yrs for only $500 w/o tax in CA. The good things are I don't have to re-plumping and re-wire because every thing are same as my old one except Hp. And the bad thing is it will not save the electrics bill. But I will buy a new one with 2 speeds as your recommend later on.

Why not just replace the motor with a two speed? It will cost much less than the new pump, you won't need to change any plumbing and you won't need to buy a two speed later on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.