Help Please

Jun 19, 2013
Hi there!

We've had our pool in ground pool since 2005 and I am going to be taking over the maintanence of it since my hubby has strange hours and we've been having issues for the last year....

Our pool has a southern exposure and is usually about 87 degrees... we have a solar system on our homes roof and we usually cool the water at night.

We've been having trouble with cloudy water and keeping the FC going (although I think the pool smells like chlorine) In the past we've had trouble with 'dead chlorine' but the pool company doesn't say that's an issue now. About 2 weeks ago the pool clouded up and we took a sample in and then did what was recommended... 2 days later it's happening again only it seems to have a tinge of yellow.

Pool tests say the following: CYA not accurate due to other levels
Tot Chlorine 3.3
Free Chlorine 0
pH 7.9
total Alk. and adj are both 140
total hardness
filter was cleaned on 6/4/13

Where do you suggest I start? How do I equate liquid bleach to what is recommended by the pool company? Should I drain some water out and start over?

Any help is greatly appreciated... had planned a pool day.. weather is great and we had to cancel... AGAIN! :cry:

haven't made a sig yet...

built IG, pebble tech pool in 2005
14,300 gallons with a sand filter and solar paneled heating
we have a southern exposure ... we have swim jets and fountains

let me know if I have forgotten anything

Thanks,
mrsstanps.... a momma who wants to swim with her little chicks!!!!

thank you! they are recommending 60 lbs of shock and then bring back a water sample.... my mouth dropped!

We had started to drain some water out so we can replenish with fresh water.... we are draining down to the bench level (2nd step) and then will add fresh water... (the water won't be like bath water either!!!)

hubby will fill in all the missing parts on the pool and equipment. :)

thanks,
mrsstanps

Did they give you a reason why you should drain some water?

I wouldn't do anything except the following until you get your test kit:
- Add 1 to 2 gallons of bleach a day
- Add acid to lower pH to 7.2-7.4 range. Use www.poolcalculator.com to figure out how much acid to add.
- Keep your pump running 24/7. Clean filter as needed to keep a strong flow out of the returns.
- Read and reread pool school so that you understand your pool chemistry, the effects of adding different chemicals to your pool, and learn how to complete the shock process on your pool.

It is quite possible that you will need to add the equivalent of 60 lbs. of powdered chlorine, but you will want to use liquid chlorine or bleach instead. But, until you receive your test kit and are able to do your own testing, you won't know for sure.

Clearing up your pool may be a long process (i.e. days to weeks). But, if you follow the advice of the experts here on the forum (vs. the pool store), you will be happy with the end result.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

I too am not seeing why you should be replacing water ... although you did not report the CYA or the CH levels which are really the only reasons to need to replace water if they get too high.

faby has given you good advice ... the recommended test kits are the best investment you can make and will certainly pay for itself after the trip you DO NOT make to the pool store.

Likely you will need to go through the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS when your kit arrives.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.