Help with test results, pretty please!

Jun 9, 2013
Hey guys. Here's the deal...Our pool was a green, slimy mess. DH (dear hubby) drained it (he's very impatient), we replaced our two cartridge filter system with a DE filter...then our pump and motor bit the dust!
That was 2 weeks ago! I didn't realize the pump and motor I ordered had to come from overseas! :grrrr: In the meantime DH placed a submergible pump in the bottom of the pool (*see pic below), which I turn on for 30-45 minutes at a time, numerous times during the day.

I've been using the BBB system, and the water is crystal clear. I have no problem seeing the "doodlebugs" on the bottom! (*see pic below). I bring in a 16 oz. jar of water for testing (*see pic below). I can place it on top of a newspaper and read the newspaper looking straight down through the water.

However, even though my water is clear and I have no signs of algae growth, etc., my test results are all over the place. (I don't have my tf-100 kit yet, so I'm using the HTH 6-way kit). Here are the readings from this morning:

TC 1
pH 8.25 (or higher!)
TA 380
CH 300
CYA 30
(I did add bleach after I did the test.)

Please, I don't have time right now to read all through the Pool School to figure out what I need. I have my 6 year-old nephew flying in from out of state tomorrow. He will be here until the end of the month. My 5 small grandkids will also be spending a lot of time here. We will also be hosting a family July 4th cookout.

Important question...as long as my water is in good shape, will it hurt to have the kids swim in it tomorrow evening, without a pump?

Thanks in advance! All you guys rock! :whoot:

photob.jpg
Copyofphotoc.jpg
photoa.jpg

Your submersible pump is aerating the pool, causeing the pH to rise. Keep some Muriatic Acid on hand to knock the pH back down and maybe see if you can run the pump on its side so it is no longer aerating the pool. After you get your pump replaced you may want to look into lowering you TA to the 70-100 range so the pH will be more stable.

As long as you keep the FC in range it should be fine to swim, just take the submersible pump out first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.