New to pool chemistry! Need some help

Zevo

Jun 19, 2013
Hello all....I live in the northeast and have had my gunite pool for 3 seasons... I have a intellichlor salt generator and was told it was maintenance free...well reading these boards I have come to find out it is not true....I took the advice and invested in a Taylor chem kit....I have been having issues with a small amount of algae growth around the pool swim out in the grout lines...so I have tested my water and here are the results.

Pool temp is 70 degrees
Roughly 18000 gallons.
I have the intellichlor set to 100% output
My pool also has a spa that attached to the pool and overflows
Cya test: basically this test revealed extremely low cya as the black dot never disappeared upon testing so it less than 30
Ph: 7.9
TA: 140 ppm
Free chlorine; 7.4 ppm
Calcium hardness: 250 ppm

How does it make sense that my cya is so low yet my free chlorine is so high....what are my next steps to balancing this water? Please help! Thanks so much

Bama Rambler said:
You should use the Pool Calc to figure the doses. I'd shoot for about 50 ppm CYA.

An IC-40 cell on a 18,000 gallon pool running at 100%? There's no wonder that the FC is so high.

I'm extremely po'd at the pool company for never telling me about adding stabilizer all the said was to change the output....what % out put would you suggest once stabilized....

This board is great btw...I'm learning tons!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.