Is it possible to have TOO MUCH GPH Sand Filter?

Jun 7, 2013
Hello Again,
I have a couple more days of leveling left for our 15x48 intex. Upon your advice, Im going with the Krysatl Clear SWS. My wife just picked up the 14" Intex 1600 GPH sand filter. I just noticed a sale on the Intex 2650 GPH sand filter, with a price differance of only about $20. Do you guys think I should upgrade to the big guy, or is it just too much on my 15x48? (Which I think is approx 4400 gallons.) Thanks again!

i ordered the 2650 sandfilter for our new 18 x 48. (6423 gallons) IMHO, you cant have too much circulation / filtration. at any rate, a bigger pump / sand filter means you run it less which should save you some $$$.

if you already have the 1600 though, im sure it will be more than adequate.

Thanks for the reply. The wife just got the 1600, but we are still in the process of the build, so plenty of time to return it. For $20 more, Im also thinking longrun if i decide to upgrade next year to a bigger pool.

It is in no way too big at all. My first pool was an Intex 12 foot round. Pump was garbage, and I knew I'd be getting a bigger pool in a few years when the children were a little bigger. I bought the 2650 sand filter and put it on that pool!! Not too big at all. Return the 1600 and get the 2650 for the extra 20 bucks!!

Edited to add:
That being said, the 1600 will do you fine if you don't want to return it. When I bought mine the 2650 was a 16 inch sand filter and the 1600 was a 14 inch. Can anyone tell me if it's the same? If the 2650 is still 16 inch it would also mean that you would be backwashing a little less often.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Livinright said:
I would get the 2650 as well.

The 1600 is working fine on my 18', but more circulation and a stronger vacuum would be alot of bang for $20.

Exactly. What you are getting for 20 bucks is stronger circulation, faster turnover, stronger vacuum, and less backwashing (which means adding water - which means CYA levels change, salt levels change if a salt pool, and a % change in all your chemicals). For 20 bucks, it's a heck of a bargain.

Edit to add: Anthony, your Bruins won last night. I'm not to happy bout that!

I just installed the intex 2650 sand filter to my pool last weekend. Def something I should have done sooner. My pool is a 15x4 round intex. The sand filter came with the larger valves aswell as the adapters for the smaller connections. I installed with the adapters just to make sure the unit worked. After I confirmed it worked I cut the holes for the larger valves. everything I already have for the pool works with the pump. I did however need to drill holes in my screw on vacuum attach because it caused the new style twist plunger valve to open its safety suction release and allowed air to enter the system.

I run my pump on timer 4hrs in the am and 4hrs in pm.

Much better compared to 24hrs with the origional 1000gph pump

And I dont have to clean the filter every other day anymore

Livinright said:
mrmacdad12 said:
I just installed the intex 2650 sand filter...I run my pump on timer 4hrs in the am and 4hrs in pm.

Wow man, that is some serious filtration! 8 hours per day on that filter will turn your pool over about 5 times every day. Your water must be amazing.

Its day and night compared to the 1000gph cartridge filter. I check my pool twice a day, 7am and between 6-7pm, the intex filter only has settings for 2,4,6,8,10,12 hrs. I just find it easier to flip the timer switch to 2 and back to 4 which kicks the pump on. 2 hrs isnt enough in my opinion 4 might seem like overkill but it works for me. the pump is only .95hr/6amps so about 660watts/hr. not to bad. Im def a happy camper so far wish I would have upgraded sooner...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.