Convert outside in-ground vinyl pool into inside pool??

Jun 18, 2013
Is it practical to build glass enclosure around the outside in-ground vinyl pool to convert it into the inside pool?
My problems now are cold weather in Chicago (and cold water in the pool) and leafs constantly falling into pool from the neighbors very old and sick tree (a lot of leafs).

My questions:
I have a gas heater but when I run it, it heats up water 1F degree per hour... and I feel like I am heating the ground around the pool together with water... When I check incoming into the pool water from the heater, it is just a little warm... and I want it hot! I am thinking about replacing heater and checking thermal isolation of the incoming pipes, but:

Does inside pool needs special thermal isolation of the bottom and walls to run all year around? at least until winter?
Can I place second liner on the top of the existing to make thermal isolation better? Any issues with that?

Thanks.
Andy
Chicago, IL - IG 20'000 gal, 18 x 36 ft, Cartridge, SAVE-T COVER II

Insulation just slows heat transfer, and with the large thermal mass of the water, it probably isn't going to make much difference in what it takes to heat the pool if you keep it heated all the time.

You can enclose a pool if you have the room for the structure. Ventilation can be an issue, as the pool obviously adds a lot of humidity. There are some fairly portable options, including inflatable domes and sliding structures. http://www.archiexpo.com/prod/abrisud/s ... 62338.html http://www.poolandspaenclosuresusa.com/ ... nclosures/ http://www.websweeper.com/php/pool_domes/do-001.php are just a few of the options.

You could also ask your neighbor if they'd let you pay to take down the tree.

Even the biggest gas pool heater is probably only going to give you a 2 degree per hour rise in good conditions.

Thanks.
This is what I got so far:
==================
Custom Ameri-Dome Quote
1.Overall Dimensions for your Rectangular Ameri-Dome are 36 feet long by 18 feet wide. Total Dome Area is approx. 648 feet².
2.Perimenter is approx. 108 ft., using about 41 anchors (included).
3.Color Selection: Blue Roof and Trim.
4.You have selected 1 Ameri-Dome Heater.
5.Your complete Ameri-Dome Package includes your Ameri-Dome, all necessary hardware for installation , and the FREE Dome Bonus Pac.
Dome Package: $2417.83
1 Dome Heater: +$955.00
Sale Savings: -$337.28
-------------------------
Subtotal: $3035.55
Shipping: +$310.47

====================

http://www.poolandspaenclosuresusa.com/ ... page_id=95

Standard Universe Type III (150mph wind load & 70psf snow load)
Inside Width: 18?8?
Inside Length: 41?6?
Height: 6?7?
Number of Segments: 6
Cost: $21,850 (plus delivery)

Standard Universe Type IV (150mph wind load & 70psf snow load)
Inside Width: 20?6?
Inside Length: 41?6?
Height: 7?3?
Number of Segments: 6
Cost: $22,950 (plus delivery)

Standard Universe Type V (150mph wind load & 70psf snow load)
Inside Width: 20?6?
Inside Length: 48?8?
Height: 7?6?
Number of Segments: 7
Cost: $25,800 (plus delivery)

I want to replace the old liner but can I place second liner on the top of the existing (and maybe some other material) to make thermal isolation better? Any issues with that? I am OK if my 18x36 ft. pool becomes 15 x 33 but holding heat longer...

pool8005 said:
I want to replace the old liner but can I place second liner on the top of the existing (and maybe some other material) to make thermal isolation better? Any issues with that? I am OK if my 18x36 ft. pool becomes 15 x 33 but holding heat longer...

You wouldn't gain anything by having two liners, and it would probably be impossible to get them both wrinkle free.

Not sure what you mean by "into the pool water from the heater, it is just a little warm... and I want it hot!" Even here in FL the water is never "hot" as it's coming from the heater.

This may go counter to common sense, but engineering often does, optimal thermal transfer often means minimizing the amount of heat rise. In other words you could get hotter return water by lowering flow rate, but the overall gain in pool temperature would be less. There are more details to this depending on the type of heating technology being used, but in general the goal of pool heating is to heat the whole pool and not just make for hot return water flow.

Before jumping on one of the inflatable dome options I would certainly consider the cost in electricity of keeping that blower running 24x7.

As to other options a lot depends on the construction of your pool decking, etc. These should be carefully evaluated before making any decisions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.