Revitalizing an old fiberglass pool

richguy

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2013
Hello All--

First time pool owner, sorta accidentally. We bought a house two days from going into foreclosure, assuming that the pool was a goner. A buddy of mine convinced me that if it held water and had no major cracks, it was salvageable. So I decided to try. I wish I had found TFP first, but you live and learn. Attached is a pic from day one. Initially the pool store started with a half drain and a shock upon refill, and then had me add shitloads of CYA, which ended up bringing up my level to somewhere north of 140! So, after finding this place and reading a bunch I realized that the direction they were taking things was expensive and high maintenance, I bit the bullet and did enough of a drain to lower CYA to ~60 (still high I know, but it is the level I felt comfortable going to) Right now the pool is refilling and the pump is running through the vac hose to keep filtering. PH was also initially quite high. Most of the sides of the pool was covered in chalky white scale (Calcium I assume? Dead Algae? I dunno) which I power washed off down to the water line during the second draining. I had already bought a test kit before finding this site, but I bought the Leslie DPD Complete Chlorine Kit --http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Water-Testing/Test-Kits/81330.html which does not have the good Chlorine test. I supplemented with the standalone FAS-DPD test from tftestkits.com so that I can accurately measure high levels of Chlorine. With that addition, am I missing anything important from my ability to test?

Current readings are:

FC -- ~35 (This is using the 5x dilution method and so can't be super reliable)
TC -- ~>35 (really hard to measure until the new kit gets here)
PH --7.4 (and dropping as the fill continues, forgot to test the tap PH, may need to adjust)
CYA -- ~85 (With 25% of the pool to go, I hope to get this to 60 or so, I may need to drop it further hope not)

A new and complete panel will be done once the pool is full, right now I am focused on maintaing FC to shock level for the remainder of the fill and then until the Shock Process is complete. Is there anything else I need to look at?

My hope is to get 2-3 seasons out of the pool while I figure out what I want to resurface with.

(Thanks in advance for the help, and for all the great material already in place here, I actually think I have a basic framework of understanding that I can build on now as I learn, instead of just guessing and throwing stuff in)

Attachments

• PoolDay1.JPG
    PoolDay1.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 203
  • PoolDay1.JPG
    PoolDay1.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 192
That's one special place you have there. Defying gravity and all! :mrgreen:

Don't worry about the pH while the FC is above 10 ppm.

Once you're done with the shock process (you are following the one in Pool School aren't you?), keeping the pH in the low 7's will dissolve any scaling that's occured.

That's just how goopy the water was, wouldn't even pour out when I turned it upside down. . .

And yes, to the best of the limitations of the measurements I can currently take I am following the Pool School Shocking Process. The people at Aldi's looked at me a little weird when I bought 8 cases of bleach.

Pic as of today. Not there yet, but getting there quickly. Free Chlorine fell by ~6 overnight from 27 - 21 (roughly, man I can't wait to get the right test kit in) water has cleared significantly. CC is still quite high, hard to measure though, I do know that at the 5X dilution the TC test makes the solution much darker, so there must be some CC, right? We have gone from filter washing every 2 hours or even less (based on pressure) to not having to clean it even over night. I hope we are closer to the end than to the beginning...

Attachments

• PoolNow.jpg
    PoolNow.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 172
think we have the same pool! do you have a ledge around the sides of the deep end?
pool's looking great btw! keep it up :cheers:
415848_10100332344955106_895286932_o.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We don't have the ledge, I think that is a cool feature though. What dimensions on your pool, mine is 35 x 16 (at the widest point) and about 11ft at the deepest. I ask because I had been using an estimate of 24,000 gallons and yours is quite different from that.

Have you done anything to resurface your pool? It's in my future but I haven't figured out what to do yet.

I'm completely stoked that I saw the main drain from the surface today. It was sparkling (at least for a little while, then I vacuumed and stirred up some settled silt, hopefully that is filtering out as we speak. The really funny thing is that my pool may look a little worse now as the stains are visible when the water gets so clear.

I'll have to remeasure but i think it has the same dimensions but only 8 ft deep. im not sure about the exact gallons but 11k was what worked out for me when i was figuring out the chemical quantities to pool size.
I would like to resurface but not sure how to since it will require a drain. Dont want to go thru the hassle and afraid it will damage the pool. there are a lot of old stains from the previous owner and having a sparkly clear pool will magnify any imperfections in the pool! haha. keep at it, youll have a sparkly pool in no time! really amazing how clear the water gets when it's balanced. you can see EVERYTHING

So, we are through the shock process and into maintenance mode. The pool (even though this picture does not capture it) is SPARKLING clear. I can easily see the light dancing on the floor of the deep end. I am really surprised by the clarity. The pool actually looks a little worse in some ways now because all of the flaws in the fiberglass are clearly visible. The kids love it, and we have already had a guest ask us what we use to maintain our pool (because we don't use chlorine, or at least he thought we didn't). I am on a first name basis with the cashier at Aldi from whom I buy Chlorine (Hi Linda!).

Having a pool is really, really fun. Our 3 kids totally dig it, and we have already become the destination house for hanging out, which is awesome.

My trusty test kit and log book are ready for today's measurements in just a few minutes. We are maintaining 8ppm FC, and just adjusted PH from 7.8 down to 7.5.

THANK YOU troublefree pool, you guys are the best. :party:

Attachments

• IMG_0739.jpg
    IMG_0739.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 65
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.