building an ABG adjacent to a retaining wall

I've got a very difficult yard to work with, and I need some help going forward.

First off, I've got a pretty steep hill that slopes upward from the back of the house. Roughly 1 in 6 slope. I recently decided to make a cut into the hill to provide some flat space for a playset for the kids. I originally didn't plan on doing anything else, however once I saw how nice it was looking, I started pondering an ABG. I've created a 12' deep flat space off the back of my deck that is roughly 30' long (parallel to the house). I plan to build a short (2') timber retaining wall to shore up the hill. If I move forward with a pool, I will also probably recess a 6x6 along the edge of the deck to deflect water, and will bury drain tile/gravel in front of it.

So, 12' is not much to work with. I am tempted to go back farther, but then I'd have to get a permit for the taller wall. For now, let's assume I have 12' to 13' to work with.

In looking online, I was surprised to find that I could get some nice 10' wide oval shaped pools (sans buttresses) that *may* fit the area, however there's not much room to spare. What do you think? Is it possible to assemble this almost directly adjacent to the wall? And when they say it's a 10' wide pool, is that the total width (including walls), or is that water only?

I am slightly concerned that I will be disturbing the earth just outside the pool footprint (i.e. need to recess the 1st row of the retaining wall, plus the timber/drainage adjacent to deck). Should I construct everything but the pool, and let it sit a year to let it settle?

Any ideas or thoughts on what to plan for would be appreciated, as well as recommendations on pool manufacturers. I've found a couple different offerors, but would be keen to hear some pros or cons. My max pool size would probably top out at 10'x18'.

See rough sketch below:

timber wall
-----------------------------------

12' deep x 30' long cut

-----------------------------------
edge of deck

Shadebuilder.com recommends 2 feet around for setting up a pool, I managed with about 6 inches in places on a round pool but it was a true pain. I'm working on a partial burial.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.