Another swamp question, please help, getting desperate!

Jun 7, 2011
Hello,

Trying to help a friend get his pool cleared for the last month without success. I have had great success with the BBB in my own pool and not sure what I am doing wrong.
My buddies pool is 45K, being filtered by a 1.5hp hayward SP and a hayward 310 sand filter. Pool started as a swamp, pulled the cover which was submerged, and dumped a lot of leaves into the pool which we are still removing as we cant see them all in the deep end. Able to turn the pool from green to blue within a day. Pool remains blue, but will still not turn clear. Current chemistry is Ph 7.4, CL 26, Alk 100, CYA 60. Overnight chlorine loss 0. Tried adding DE to the filter, but no change. Not sure what else to do, I know it is not recommended but thinking about trying floc. Short season here on the east cost and its almost July already. Any comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt

It can take a while to get the pool clear from the state it was in. I wouldn't recommend floc as long as you still have debris in the pool. Floc will create a gel type sediment that needs to be slowly and carefully vacuumed out, and if you still have some solid debris in there, chances are you are just going to stir everything up while trying to vacuum. That is a big pool and your sand filter may need a little help. Have you tried putting some DE or DE Alternative in the filter yet?

The biggest issue is likely that filter is too small for that big pool. It simply doesn't have enough filtering capability to clear up that many gallons very quickly.

Floc is sometimes good and just about as often, very bad....that'll have to be your call.

Thank you for the quick replies,

Recently switched to this filter, replaced a 25yr old 72 sq ft DE filter with many torn laterals. Thought the filter was small, but hayward rep said it would be ok. Problem is the plumbing is very small for a pool his size. Only has two skimmers each brought in by two 1.5" lines. And one 1.5" side wall suction. No main drain. Pool only has one 1.5" return (3 outlets in the pool).

Sorry... missed the line where you already tried the DE. :( I have the same pump and my sand filter is just a bit smaller. It takes me weeks to clear my pool with my set-up and I have @ 17,500 gallons. I would keep adding the DE to the filter, it may be helping more than you think. Try to get as much of the debris out as you can, I am always surprised at how much debris reveals itself to me during the clearing process when I thought I had it pretty much cleaned out.

Ugh,

Was trusting the advice of a so called expert on their product, not the pool store guy! Based on specs, I knew the filter was undersized, but someone who I thought had experience made the suggestion and I went with it. Do you think if (and when) we manage to get the pool clear the filter will be adequate? Despite pools size, the bather load will be small.

I'm sorry, but doubt it will ever be adequate. Can you get by with it with extra vigilent upkeep and low load...bather, debris, and no algae blooms? Maybe, but it will take a long time to clear problems like it is now. I really would try adding some DE if it were mine just to help. Get all the leaves/other trash out that you can too. I know you know that...just making sure. I don't know how they work for a killed algae issue, but I can tell you that the Slime bags work wonders on dust fines that pass through a sand filter. I just tried one on my tiny pool and it was nothing short of very, very impressive. I'm just thinking of anything to help speed it up for you'r buddie's short season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you think if (and when) we manage to get the pool clear the filter will be adequate?
Almost certainly but you will have to run the pump more than normal.

It is very tempting to let the FC down once you pass the OCLT, but I would suggest not.

The elevated FC seems to have it's own "clearing" affect by oxidizing some of those particles that are making the pool cloudy.

If it was my pool, I would keep the FC at shock value until it was crystal clear. Not doing so likely will prolong the clearing process.

rnpilot said:
Knowing that the overnight CL test is zero, do I need to maintain a shock level of Cl or can I bring it back down to normal levels?

Since you are still cloudy, I would say no. If it were me, I would keep it high until it was clear...and yes even if it is a filter issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.