muriatic acid

May 10, 2013
I need to lower my TA and we bought the muriatic acid at the hardware store. The type we bought is Crown NEXT which is supposed to be a safer form of it, with less fumes. Is it a problem to use this form or should I get the normal muriatic acid?
Thanks,

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Depends what makes it "safer". Usually it just means that it is a lower concentration of acid {that they charge the same amount of money for}
What is the % listed? Any other interesting info on the package?

Thanks for the welcome! I have learned much since I found the site last August. Then I needed to raise my alkalinity and instead of $80 worth of the pool store's buckets I used $8 worth of baking soda :-D

The label says "Crown Muriatic Acid NEXT is the safer alternative to Hydrochloric Acid 20 (however you make that degree symbol on here) Baume (31.45%) with less fumes and lower odor." Nowhere does it say what the actual concentration is. It just compares it to the 31.45% concentration.

Ahhhh. I just tracked down the company's site and you are right. It's a 9.8 (degree) Baume 14.5% solution. And, of course, according to the pool calculator I'll need twice as much of it.

Thank you.

I was just about to ask about this. At Lowes now comparing the two. The Crown regular version says "do not mix with chlorine type bleaches or any other household product, exterior use only" Im assuming this is the right stuff though as its straight MA, right? Any info on the percentage for this one?

Lowes has the Crown brand: Reg (unkown percentage) is $6.49/gallon; Next is $7.29/gallon (15% I think we concluded)
Ace has the 31.45% for $7.99/gallon

- - - Updated - - -

I just went through this and since I needed like 7 gallons I was comparing the regular crown and the NEXT, good thing I got the regular 31.45% as others have said only difference is lower concentration.

How did you find out the percentage on the Regular? I couldn't find it anywhere

Bought some MA from Lowes about 2 weeks ago. Im pretty sure it was the NEXT brand. It did say on the back but it was kind of hard to find. It was 31.45%. There was also a brand that said Safer, but I didnt bother to even look at it because it should have been half strength.

I was just about to ask about this. At Lowes now comparing the two. The Crown regular version says "do not mix with chlorine type bleaches or any other household product, exterior use only" Im assuming this is the right stuff though as its straight MA, right? Any info on the percentage for this one?

You would never want to directly mix muriatic acid and chlorine. However, you can add chlorine to your water with the pump running - wait 30 min - then add your acid. Or vice versa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You would never want to directly mix muriatic acid and chlorine. However, you can add chlorine to your water with the pump running - wait 30 min - then add your acid. Or vice versa.

Very true!

I was in a hurry last time I needed both MA and chlorine and added one at the east return, then one at the west return. Figured it was OK in a 40' long pool. That was the same night I discovered high humidity and no wind = bad time to add MA from a large pitcher. In the headspace on the top of my measuring pitcher the acid fumes were mixing with the water vapor in the air, creating a much larger cloud of noxious gas than usual. No wind means it didn't go anywhere but linger over the pitcher and in my general vicinity. Think I'll stick to adding it directly from the bottle. Small opening = less opportunity for water vapor to mix with acid fumes. A few ounces off by eyeballing the measurement is not a big deal in a ~30K gallon pool.

Lowes has the Crown brand: Reg (unkown percentage) is $6.49/gallon; Next is $7.29/gallon (15% I think we concluded)
Ace has the 31.45% for $7.99/gallon

- - - Updated - - -

How did you find out the percentage on the Regular? I couldn't find it anywhere

It is on the bottle, I dont remember where exactly but its on there.

Bought some MA from Lowes about 2 weeks ago. Im pretty sure it was the NEXT brand. It did say on the back but it was kind of hard to find. It was 31.45%. There was also a brand that said Safer, but I didnt bother to even look at it because it should have been half strength.

The NEXT is the lower safer percentage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.