New pool, installation questions, pump and filter

Jun 18, 2013
Hello Everyone. I have been reading many former and current posts and viewing pictures. What a Great informative site.

My roommate recently purchased an Intex 14' x 48" pool. Against everything I have read on the internet I decided the pool should be semi buried, because of slope in my yard it will be buried 36" on one side and 28" on the other. I plan to use the included tarp and have purchased interlocking floor mats for the bottom of the pool. The legs will be placed on bricks. I'm not sure if I should use styrofoam sheeting around the exterior or interior of the pool to prevent the back fill from touching the vinyl lining. Any suggestions will be welcomed. I am unable to find the extruded polystrene recommended in many posts in the Tampa Bay area.

The other issue is that the pump and filter that came with the pool is inadequate but larger pumps are likely to "blowout" the wall of the lining.....as I have been told by many pool installers. At this point I am not sure what pump and filter system I should go with. I have already invested close to 2k for the dig, relocating drainage pipes and irrigation that does not include the fence I will need to have installed :hammer: . I'm too far in to back out now. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I have also partially buried my 15'x48" intex. I base this on experience with heavy duty truck lumber tarps, which the intex side walls are made very similar to.

I have has truck tarps -- not the poly tarps like at Walmart, these are very heavy fiberglass reinforced -- buried in sand and muck for several years without deterioration.

The only thing I think we will have to watch for is the poles rusting off.

If you can find the 1/4" folded like this, that would be good. 50' should go around your pool with a small amount of overlap.

Best bet would be to check these out at Amazon paying attention to the 56635, 56633, and 56671.

Those will do you a LOT better than the tiny little thing that comes with the pool. Those installers are not telling the whole story.

Most come with the larger through wall fittings you will need, and are easy to install.

Do get a good test kit, links are in Pool School, which you need to be reading. The TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006 are the ones we recommend here.

Good luck with your pool!

Edit: Jeff, I'll post pics of mine when I've got all the dirt back around it.

Charlie_R said:
I have also partially buried my 15'x48" intex. I base this on experience with heavy duty truck lumber tarps, which the intex side walls are made very similar to.

I have has truck tarps -- not the poly tarps like at Walmart, these are very heavy fiberglass reinforced -- buried in sand and muck for several years without deterioration.

The only thing I think we will have to watch for is the poles rusting off.

If you can find the 1/4" folded like this, that would be good. 50' should go around your pool with a small amount of overlap.

Best bet would be to check these out at Amazon paying attention to the 56635, 56633, and 56671.

Those will do you a LOT better than the tiny little thing that comes with the pool. Those installers are not telling the whole story.

Most come with the larger through wall fittings you will need, and are easy to install.

Do get a good test kit, links are in Pool School, which you need to be reading. The TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006 are the ones we recommend here.

Good luck with your pool!

Edit: Jeff, I'll post pics of mine when I've got all the dirt back around it.

Cool !! I didn't know you could bury them. Learn something new every day!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

as far as a pump goes I have a 18x52 intex ultra frame pool and I just changed my pump filter setup today from the 14 inch intex sand filter that I put on a 1/2 hp Hayward pump and had no issues to the new setup 19 inch sand filter and a 1 hp pump both from..... well I cant say where I don't think.......lol , for your pool I would get the 16 inch intex sand filter and 2650 gph combo it will work great for your pool.....wall collapse my A**.....LOL......Mike

Good Morning. Thank you Pwrstrk, Charlie R & Fast1971chevell for replying to my post. I'll spend the rest of the day searching for these items. I don't expect the pool to last too many years but I hope to get a couple of seasons of enjoyment. Who knows, by then I may decide to get a larger pool. I have a lot to learn between now and then.

Thanks again,
Paul

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.