Jack's Purple vs Walmart's hth metal control

spiazza

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 20, 2009
Berkeley Heights, NJ
Has anyone tried using Walmart's HTH Metal Control as a cheaper sequestrant alternative to Jack's?

I typically use Jack's Purple Stuff (Salt water). The cost ranges between $23 - $30.

HTH is $12. Active ingredient: Hydroxyethylidene Diphosphonix Acid.

I have been doing some experiments with iron staining by doing AA treatments, messing with pH and just started using Jack's (pink). I have been looking at alternatives due to the same reason....cost.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that HTH Metal Control was HEDP based and was half the price. After looking over all the MSDSs carefully I discovered the following:

• Jack's Pink________1qt./10,000____HEDP___Sp.Gr. 1.48
  • Jack's Blue________1qt./10,000 ___HEDP___ Sp.Gr. 1.09
  • Jack's Purple_______1qt./10,000___HEDP___Sp.Gr. 1.09-1.19
  • HTH Metal Control___1qt./10,000___HEDP___Sp.Gr. 1.46

Only HTH/Arch Chemicals gives an actual percentage of the HEDP ~32%. The Jack's MSDSs give a percentage but it says 100 percent "Proprietary Formulation" which contains HEDP. It's not 100% HEDP. Who knows what other ingredients they add to make it more effective in certain types of pools or with different metals. All that said ...Jack's Pink and the HTH Metal Control look very similar. In the end, all that really matters is the active ingredient. I've read a few posts and it seems the HTH works. There are a lot of percentages being thrown around 60%, 30% and 20%. I guess all you can do is give it a shot and if it works then you are saving $$$ and your pool will be sparkly.

toxicity-of-hedp-t56605.html#p464642

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.