bcwils

Jun 18, 2013
Hi, just putting in a pool and am looking for some tall trees for privacy. Of course I would prefer they be trees that are not too messy.
I will be using Blue Spruces and White Pines but looking for something other than evergreens. I am in Toronto, Ontario. Any suggestions?

I am also from the Toronto area (Burlington) and am also looking into this as well. My property line is fairly close to my neighbours and am looking for something that grows bout 20' and provides privacy.

Pool builder suggested a row of Ivory Silk Lilacs, but I'm afraid when they flower the petals will make a mess of the pool. Let me know what you decide on.

We have 2 old, huge white pines near our pool. The amount of pine needles they drop in and around the pool is staggering. I second the arbor vitae, we have these too around the pool, nice privacy, very little debris.

Tom

Agreed on White Pine, I wouldnt use them, they grow into massive trees and drop an immense amount of needles.
Cedar is a great choice, they can be trimmed to be kept small and they feep their foliage all the way up for better privacy.

If you are looking for deciduous trees, pin oaks tend to hang onto their leaves until well after pools are closed and they grow fairly quickly.

We are in Burlington, and just had our pool finished this spring. We put two Ornamental Pear trees in our yard. They are columnar trees, and will grow mostly upright, and don't spread too much (pruning can also help this). Our pool builder suggested these along with two nurseries we visited. They look great, and yes, you will have some flowering in the spring, but all of the flowers were picked up by the skimmer and we just had to empty the basket a bit more often for a week or two.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I dont know if they grow well in Canada but, I have pampas grass that grows about 12' tall and looks cool. Cedar trees and arborvitaes would be a good choice, pencil holly, Boston pear. Mixing it up with different plants looks good too.

Thanks for the advice. Based on this discussion and multiple discussions with a variety of nurseries we ended up using a mix of Pyramidal English Oak, Japanese Ivory Lilac, Pear trees and blue spruce. We'll see this fall how it all works...

I have Arborvites around my pool and the only problem we have is birds in the Spring who use the bushes for their nests. These black birds called Grackles will take the poop from their babies and carry it away from the nest so predators don't find the nest. Unfortunately, they look for water to drop the doo doo in..... My husband got a Hawk kite and hangs that in the yard to try and keep the birds out of our yard. Here is a pic of our Arborvitie....

Attachments

• IMG_20130603_163515 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_20130603_163515 (640x480).jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 156
[attachment=0:s1qxfn0x]IMG_20130529_073308 (640x480).jpg[/attachment:s1qxfn0x]Here is another pic from a different view...........

Attachments

• IMG_20130529_073308 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_20130529_073308 (640x480).jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 155
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.