Cloudy pool-help please-new #'s

tjrn89

Nov 19, 2007
TN
Sand changed and pool cleaned 2 weeks ago and super chlorinated by pool company. They used 12.5% liquid chlorine and installed a Haywood autochlorinator and put 4 of Trichlor 3" tablets in it. After 3-4 days the pool was still cloudly. The pool company suggested more chlorine-poured 1 gallon of 12.5% chlorine in it and it cleared. They said that the chlorinator should keep the chlorine at an approriate level after that.

After 3-4 more days the cloudy water returned with brown/rust colored material in the middle and around the sides of the pool. I tested and there was very little FC. (TF-100 kit) Since then I have been fighting this battle of the brown stuff that is now white after lots of bleach but still floating on the top. Tested this morning using the quick blue kit and used pool calculator to guide me. Added 384oz of 6% bleach about 9:30am after vacuuming all the what was then brown stuff out of the pool. I believe this is algae???

Just tested and here is a complete set of numbers:
FC 1.5
CC 1
TC 2.5?
pH 6.8
TA 80
CYA 0 I can see the black dot plain as day with the tube as full as it goes but I don't see how this can be when there have been a total of 4 of the Trichlor tabs (3") that have dissolved

I see from reading this site that I need work but please tell me what to do and in what order preferably with a time table of what I should expect to see to let me know that I am on the right track. Currently water is cloudy blue with white stuff floating.

I am comfortable with the test kit but since I just switched from Baquacil last fall I'm not sure where to go from here. Also how do I get that floating nasty stuff out of my pool. Thanks for your help

22000 gal 30 ft round AG vinyl pool-sand filter-new to chlorine this year-TN with pool in full sun

tj, let's solve your issues one at a time.

You have no chlorine because you have no stabilizer. You need to put enough stabilizer in your pool to get to 40ppm and the pucks won't do it. Introduce the stabilizer by suspending it in a sock into your pool.

YOu also have no chlorine because I suspect you have a good dose of organics (algae) in your pool which is rapidly consuming what the sun doesn't.

Read the stickies:
ABC's of pool water chemistry
Clearing a green pool

Those two articles will give you some insight on how to get your water cleared up.

Good advice...now what?

Thanks Dave....will use pool calculator and begin the stabilizer process immediately. I read on this site that it takes 1 week for the CYA to increase to an appropriate level. I would think there is other things I need to be doing while this is in process. What about the chlorine level? The pH?

tj

You need to bring them both up(ph and cl) but until you stabilize it some it will be hard to keep the cl level up. Just be careful not to over stabilize.

The floating white stuff is dead algae you need to run your pump more to clear it out. Either wash your filter or backwash (unsure of what you have for a filter setup) This will help get organics out. Make sure you are brushing the sides of your pool to lift any algae still clinging to the sides.

Ok. I have some 'pH Increaser' that is 100% sodium carbonate in powder form that is left from pre BBB days. Would this be considered the same as the soda ash when using the poolcalculator or is the concentration different? I've never bought soda ash. Thanks for all your help. I will conquer this pool this summer. Hopefully it will still be in time to swim. My kids are pretty anxious to get in.

22000 gal 30 ft round AG vinyl pool-sand filter-new to chlorine this year-TN with pool in full sun

tjrn89 said:
I have some 'pH Increaser' that is 100% sodium carbonate in powder form that is left from pre BBB days.
I would suggest you use 20 mule team borax instead....it'll have less effect on your Alk.

I still hope you really stay focused on stabilizer and chlorine to clear your pool. I again suggest you read the two stickies I mentioned and then post up some more questions.

A true pool expert always told me....."An imbalanced pool did not get that way in a few days. It is unrealistic to expect to cure it overnite."

This is a process....not an event. The process will probably take somewhere around a week.

Thanks Dave for the advice and shot of patience. I know this isn't an overnite process but I don't want to neglect anything out of ignorance on my part because a lot of sweat and frustration not to mention $$ is in that pool and I am hopefully going in the right direction.

You're right those stickies are great. I re-read them again although there isn't one that says clearing a green pool but I read the one that referred to turning your swamp into an oasis and it is wonderful and simple. Aimed at those of us who may not find this as easy as others.

Working on adding stabilizer while keeping FC @ 10. Will work on pH next. What about the autochlorinator? Does anyone use these and what can I expect from it?

tj

Progress

I think I am on the right track just need a little more hand holding.

Have had the FC 10-12 for the past 36-40 hrs. Yesterday the FC kept dropping during the day down to 5 but we checked every 4 hours and got it back up using the pool calculator. Yesterday 3pm FC 5 added the suggest bleach, 10pm FC 9
CC 0.5 added the suggested bleach to get to 10, today 7am FC 13.

Pool is still cloudy, better but still milky cloudy. Still greasy looking substance you can see on top especially at night. White floating stuff is decreasing. Continuing to brush the brown stuff on the bottom 2-3 times a day and plan to vacuum to waste this afternoon.

Added 6 lbs of CYA yesterday via sock method. Dissolved in 3-4 hours which is quicker than I was expecting. Should I wait to vacuum because of the CYA?

When should I start adjusting the pH?

If my CC is 0.5 and my FC is up what is making it cloudy?

Thanks for your help

AGP 30ft round, 21,200gal, sand filter with brand new sand

Re: Progress

tjrn89 said:
I think I am on the right track just need a little more hand holding.

Have had the FC 10-12 for the past 36-40 hrs. Yesterday the FC kept dropping during the day down to 5 but we checked every 4 hours and got it back up using the pool calculator. Yesterday 3pm FC 5 added the suggest bleach, 10pm FC 9
CC 0.5 added the suggested bleach to get to 10, today 7am FC 13.

Pool is still cloudy, better but still milky cloudy. Still greasy looking substance you can see on top especially at night. White floating stuff is decreasing. Continuing to brush the brown stuff on the bottom 2-3 times a day and plan to vacuum to waste this afternoon.

Added 6 lbs of CYA yesterday via sock method. Dissolved in 3-4 hours which is quicker than I was expecting. Should I wait to vacuum because of the CYA?

When should I start adjusting the pH?

If my CC is 0.5 and my FC is up what is making it cloudy?

Thanks for your help

AGP 30ft round, 21,200gal, sand filter with brand new sand

tj,

Now that you've gotten a good grip on the chlorinating process, you can bring the pH up around 7.2 any time.

Clearing a pool is frustrating because you have to go thru a period when all your testing says things are looking good but your water isn't looking good.......it's the end stages but still part of the process.

Dip and scoop as much solids as you can out of the pool.

Maintain your high FC for now.

Slowly, your water will improve each day but you've got to keep the FC in there.

The process is complete when:

1. You can hold FC losing less than 1.0 overnite
2. .5 CC's or less
3. Your water is sparkling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks duraleigh...

Well I've got 1 down and 2 to go. I'll repost when the FC is holding overnight and the water is clear. I'll work on the pH. What about the vacuum question? Some of the stuff I see is too fine to scoop.

Thanks so much.

Almost there.....pool is clear, very hot and sunny weekend....kept FC to shock level until yesterday when we were out of town...this am FC is 1.5 and CC is 0.5...raised pH to what I think is close to 7.5....the question is should I raise the FC back to shock level or shoot for 4? I've got the bleach just need to know how much to put in.

Thanks

21200 gal AG vinyl liner sand filter

Have you re-tested your CYA? Use the pool calculater and the CYA chart to see where you should be, and start there, if the level holds thru tomorrow (you lose less than 1ppm) you should be good to go!

It sound like you still have something consuming the CL because that's a big drop since yesterday, even with the hot and sunny weekend.

Thanks for the tip...water is clear. Here is a complete set of #'s I just did.

FC 4
CC 0.5
pH ?? more than 7.2 but less than 7.5 but definitely has some pink in the color so I'm calling it 7.4
T/A 100
CYA 40

Here is what I thought but need opinions:

Bring FC back up to 10 check it at 9pm and again at 7am to see if it loses <1ppm of FC. I have an in-line chlorinator with 3" pucks. Time to refill. ??Opinions please.

Vacuum because I have this recurrent stuff that collects in the middle and around the sides. Would put a picture but can't figure out how. Is it algae? I thought if it was algae then the CC would be higher but it is definitely 0.5 or < I debated on whether or not it needed the 1 drop.

Guidance on my plan please

To fully test for any remaining algae you need to turn off the chlorinator overnight.

Aside from the above, you can keep using the chlorinator for a while, but your CYA level will eventually get too high and you will need to stop using it.

I like the plan with one possible exception. Watch the use of pucks. YOur CYA of 40 is fine but the pucks will drive it up too high sometimes sooner than you think. Is it your plan to discontinue their use at some point?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.