New SWG owner needs advise

Jun 17, 2013
Today I bought 650 lbs. of salt 99.8%. All I have to do is dump all the salt in the pool, brush it around to help dissolve, wait a few days and turn the unit on? Am I missing something? I will test the chemicals with a Taylor 2005 kit.

Bama Rambler said:
What's the salt level in the pool water now?
It's almost never zero and often it's quite high. You should have it tested before you add any to it.

We are switching from chlorine. Never had salt. Expect the unit to be installed on Saturday.

So do I dump all the salt in the pool. I have around 21K gallons

Bama Rambler is right. Test the salt level first and then adjust from that number. You might be shocked to find out there actually is already some salt in there. The salt strips are reasonably accurate and can be bought for about $10 at any pool store. (I can even find them sometimes at Menards.)

Even if you think you know how much salt you need, add a little less. You can always add more salt, but removing salt is a pain in the backside. (Trust me, I just recently had to do it when changing SWGs.) Since salt dissolves pretty quickly, you'll be able to retest in a 24-48 hours. Since the SWG isn't being installed until Saturday, you have time. (You're right to add it in advance of the SWG, though.)

When you do add it, then just dump it in and brush around. There's a thread somewhere about having the kids disperse it around with their hands. I haven't tried it but it sounds VERY cool.

Once you know, yes, just dump around. We usually try to broadcast it out a bit and around. Be careful to keep it off of the concrete. (Or sweep it off the concrete when you're done.)

You can move it around with the brush attached to the pole or..... you could just jump in, enjoy the refreshing water and let your feet do all the work!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.