Just a little Direction for some cloudy water

Jun 15, 2010
OK opened my pool to a mess, Cover didn't make it.
I think I have all the pine needles up. Water is a cloudy to a milky looking. I have been chlorinating, vacuuming and have had the filter running on high since Sat.
Here are this morning readings.
FC 7.0
CC .5
PH 7.2
TA 120
CYA 70

Any suggestions on clearing up my water?
Thanks

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. Your FC is FAR too low to shock properly. Your FC should be up around 28 ppm and you should be holding it there with frequent additions of chlorine.

Looking again, your FC level should be at least to 20 with a CYA of 70 and green or murky water. Add enough liquid chlorine to get your FCC to 20 and keep it there as much as possible.

FYI... Spell check is a pain

So started my shock treatment last night around 10pm. Went out this morning @ 6am to test and I must of put to much bleach because my reading of FC was 34.5. Hope that will burn off since we are in full sun all day. I can see the bottom and there is still some junk there which I will get out in a few hours.
Thanks so far!

duraleigh said:
Hope that will burn off since we are in full sun all day.
Some of it will but be sure to replenish it right back up to 28 ppm when it gets down somewhere around 20 or so.

Test and dose carefully.
Thank just tested it a minute ago and we are at 20, so 2- 121 oz. bottles to get it back to 28. By the way has anyone noticed the amount in the bottles getting less and the price getting higher. LOL
Thanks a ton folks!!!

Typically, the 121 oz bottle is a 8.25% bleach where the 196 ounce bottles were 6% bleach. Basically you are buying more chlorine per ounce.

So, you are buying less water.

Be sure you account for the strength difference in your calculations.

I just looked, using 121 oz of 8.5% produces a +9.8 FC on 13,500 gallons, 196 oz of 6% only moves it +7 FC.

Could this be part of your overshoot last night? IIRC, you were aiming for 28 FC and ended up at 34.5 FC?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Brought up to 28 last night at 10:00pm. still there this morning at 7:00. I now can see the bottom and the few little pockets of pine needles. Hoping getting rid of these will clear things up a little faster.
CYA still at 70, hoping for some sun here to lower this naturally but this year has been a tough one for warm weather and sun here in the mountains.

32Magnum said:
Brought up to 28 last night at 10:00pm. still there this morning at 7:00. I now can see the bottom and the few little pockets of pine needles. Hoping getting rid of these will clear things up a little faster.
CYA still at 70, hoping for some sun here to lower this naturally but this year has been a tough one for warm weather and sun here in the mountains.

It will be okay where it is, meaning it won't do you any harm, you can swim up to your shock level. It's still cloudy a little i guess? Keep filtering! Maybe read and try this... pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter

harleysilo said:
32Magnum said:

It will be okay where it is, meaning it won't do you any harm, you can swim up to your shock level. It's still cloudy a little i guess? Keep filtering! Maybe read and try this... pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter
Yes still a little cloudy. I had a whole lot of pine needles to get out.
Glad you mentioned that about the filter, I have a two speed filter and 95% of the time it's on low and the pressure is about 6-7 psi, on high it's about 12 or so. I use high for vacuuming or when I have the auto vacuum hooked up.
I had someone tell me a few yrs back that the filter will filter better on low then high. Is this true. I understand on high it moves a lot more water but is he right as far as filtering?
I have some DE from my garden (organic) it should be the same stuff correct? I would like to do this!

32Magnum said:
harleysilo said:
32Magnum said:

Yes still a little cloudy. I had a whole lot of pine needles to get out.
Glad you mentioned that about the filter, I have a two speed filter and 95% of the time it's on low and the pressure is about 6-7 psi, on high it's about 12 or so. I use high for vacuuming or when I have the auto vacuum hooked up.
I had someone tell me a few yrs back that the filter will filter better on low then high. Is this true. I understand on high it moves a lot more water but is he right as far as filtering?
I have some DE from my garden (organic) it should be the same stuff correct? I would like to do this!

From the last line of that linked article "Gardening DE, while safer to handle, has not been heat treated and therefore is not suitable for use in pool filters."

I think i would keep it on high, the only way it would be ineffective is if stuff was slipping through your filter, which shouldn't be happening.

32Magnum said:

Your CYA is not going to change unless you take water out or rain overfills the pool. It is in your pool until you take it out.

This is why it is important to not get your CYA levels too high by using pucks or granules.

OK water is now clear but not sparkling yet. Was able to get the rest of the junk off the bottom which seemed to help. One question though this morning I did some checking and the CYA is now 40, down from 70?
FC is at 11.5, seems to hold chlorine pretty well.
Unfortunately haven't been able to find any DE locally other then the one place who hits a grandslam with every sale. I may have to either cave in or take a road trip. Ugh!

32Magnum said:
OK water is now clear but not sparkling yet. Was able to get the rest of the junk off the bottom which seemed to help. One question though this morning I did some checking and the CYA is now 40, down from 70?
Unfortunately haven't been able to find any DE locally other then the one place who hits a grandslam with every sale. I may have to either cave in or take a road trip. Ugh!
It could be that the original water was so cloudy it skewed the first test.

Do you take a reading, pour it back and shake again, and take a few more? That's the way to test CYA.

Take a look at walmart, ace hardware, places like that, for DE.

Richard320 said:
32Magnum said:
It could be that the original water was so cloudy it skewed the first test.
Never thought of that so that could have been it.
Do you take a reading, pour it back and shake again, and take a few more? That's the way to test CYA.

Yes I check it a few times.

Take a look at walmart, ace hardware, places like that, for DE.
WallyWorld here don't carry it, Ace can get it but it takes 3-5 days. I am tomorrow doing a road trip about 35 miles, just called and it's about $28.00 for a 25 pound box.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.