Angle of Repose

dubele

Jun 17, 2013
Southeast Pennsylvania
Hello,

Can anyone give me some guidance or thoughts on installing a pool 8' from my house? My house has a poured concrete basement and the walls are probably 10' high. I am thinking fiberglass may not be the best option as the pool walls are not self supporting and could push out and cause damage to my foundation. Also, there is something called an angle of repose and I think this will need to be considered regardless of fiberglass or gunfire.....anyone understand this enough to explain it?

Thanks,
Doug

As said you need an engineer to look at it, but basically a 45% angle from the base of the pool wall. I added a support pier for a porch addition and it had to be placed along side the pool shell at a minimum distance equal to the depth to the outside bottom of the pool.

Oddly enough though I have seen pools that were approved by our local building dept placed very close to retention walls.

In my case it was both. The distance between the two structures had to be at least equal to the maximum depth of the deepest.

You need to have a local civil engineer look at it. The angle of repose depends on the local soil. If your soil is clay and stone the angle of repose is pretty steep but if it's sand or sandy loam it's very shallow.

I talked to a professional engineer (PE) today. She was incredible and she spent a good 15 minutes on the phone with me today. It sounds like she is ok with the pool being 8' from the house based off of the pool bottom being 2 to 3 foot higher from my basement floor. She also used to design pools so she has experience so it seems. Her main concern was if the pool ever leaked and the horizontal pressure that is created.

She gave me the confidence that I can proceed. I am going to hire her once I pick out either fiberglass or concrete and a pool size/pattern. Sounds like she'll cost me $300.....well worth the peace of mind. I'll get papers and she'll come out see my situation first hand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.