Help me. Bleach question.

Jun 17, 2013
I have 16 by 48 pool 4 foot deep roughly 5000 gallon pool. I want to use bleach for daily maintenance and as a shock. Assuming levels are ok how many ounces should i add each night. How often do i shock and roughly how many ounces of bleach do i use to shock. Just send me ballpark estimates for both. I heard i should add about 25 ounces daily at night.

Some time reading pool school (multiple time) for a better understanding. You will probably have other questions after that. http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/

But I will still help a little.

Bashore98 said:
how many ounces should i add each night.
There is no each night figure, this all depends on many different factors. including but not limited to your CYA level, time in sun, covered, uncovered, used(by how many and how long). What your currect FC level is.

Bashore98 said:
How often do i shock
If your water is clear, your CC's are less than .5, and you pass an OCLT there is no need to shock. Shocking is not part of normal maintenance but is used to fight alage, organics, basically fix it when something goes wrong.

The only thing I can tell you is there is a lot of helpful information in pool school, and the pool calculator is very helpful to decide how much to add, as long as you know what levels your currently at and where you need to be. http://www.poolcalculator.com/

Using the bottom of the pool calculator (effects of adding chemical) after entering your 5000 gallons at the top I can tell you that 1 Gallon of 10% bleach/liquid chlorine will raise your levels 20PPM. Using the FC column at the top just under where you enter your gallons, I can tell you it takes 7.5 oz of 8.25% bleach to raise FC levels 1PPM

Bashore98 said:
I will post readings soon. What goal should i shoot for chlorine? Is it safe to use bleach? Better at night or during day to add?
The goal depends on the CYA level.

Bleach is the preferred source of chlorine as it doesn't add anything unwanted.

Day or night is immaterial, as long as you never let it dip below minimum and it has at least half an hour of pump time to mix it well.

[center:24rgg9qp][/center:24rgg9qp]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.