1-1/4 to 1-1/2 adapter?

jmullan99

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2013
I plan to put in the thru-wall skimmer on my Intex Ultra-Frame. I plan to use my old 1000 gph pump from my previous Intex pool stand-alone for the skimmer. This older pump has the 1-1/4 slip on fitting.

My questions:

- What kind and size of fitting is on the Hayward skimmer?

- Is there an adapter that will "up-size" the 1-1/4 slip fitting from the old pump to handle the 1-1/2 hose?

Thanks.
John

Thanks for that bit.

I guess I should also ask: is there an adapter that would take the 1.5 FPT on the Hayward to reduce to fit the old 1.25 hose? That would be my quickest and possible easiest option.

I went to HD on my lunch break and found this. Grabbed it and will see if the old 1.25 hose goes on the barb okay. I won't have the skimmer until the weekend. For $3 it's worth a shot. 1-1/2 FPT with 1-1/4 barb. Screw this into the skimmer, the old 1.25 hose to the pump. Should it work?

Then just work on the return inlet to the pool. I will likely start out with just hanging something over the edge. Later a second return inlet.

[attachment=0:36zi5nq2]fitting.jpg[/attachment:36zi5nq2]

Attachments

• fitting.jpg
    fitting.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 251
Stopped at the pool place and grabbed a skimmer. Wasn't a Hayward but it seems the fittings are pretty standard. And the kit came with fittings to fit 1-1/4 and also 1-1/2. It came with a return fitting also. Pretty good I guess. Took all of an hour to get it in and working.

It is obvious to me now, but I did the "live" method and installed before cutting so I didn't have to drain any amount of water. I tightened down the screws as much as I could but water was leaking quite a bit. I couldn't tighten screws any further. Then it dawned on me that the liner itself was in the way of the two parts mating properly. After I cut out the liner I could tighten further and voila, no leaks.

Happy camper!

[attachment=1:p1004sbk]skimmer1.jpg[/attachment:p1004sbk]

Using last years 1000gph standalone for the skimmer. For now, just hanging the return into the pool about 12" below water line. Will put the return fitting in hopefully this weekend. I was thinking to take the cut out from the skimmer and glue in place as additional reinforcement for the return jet. Anyone done that? What is the proper glue?

[attachment=0:p1004sbk]skimmer2.jpg[/attachment:p1004sbk]

PS: Thanks for everyone's input. Loving this forum!

Cheers,
John

Attachments

• skimmer1.jpg
    skimmer1.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 174
  • skimmer2.jpg
    skimmer2.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 174
nice skimmer install, i need one like that :)

I bought the pool repair kit from ace hardware for 11 bucks, it came with a small 4 oz. can of jed pool vinyl adhesive and 500 sq inches of clear material. It worked real good on my intex and it did work wet, so I'm sure it'd work real good dry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
oh ya! princess auto! one of my top man stores. I started using Discounters Pool and Spa. They seem to have everything. Price is okay. I will check out their selection of vinyl cement. And while there, maybe see what they carry in vinyl material.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.