CYA test with Taylor K-2006

May 24, 2013
South Florida
I bought the Taylor K-2006 test kit and am loving it. Great kit!

My only problem is with the CYA test. I have a heck of a time being certain of my accuracy with the CYA black dot test. Any tips out there? Should I be reading the CYA level once the black dot first completely disappears from view? In other words, when I am first not able to see it whatsoever.

I have to say I hate the black dot. It leaves too much up to interpretation.

Continue pouring until all traces of the black dot at the bottom of the view tube completely disappear, even after you stare at it for several seconds, or you fill the view tube.

It does only go in increments of 10 so absolute accuracy isn't quite necessary.

doglover78 said:
Any tips out there?
I ended up doing it a little differently, looking from the side I fill the sample to the first line then go from above and look. Then keep filling to the next line until I go to look and don't see it. I found keeping my head over top of it was playing eye games and dealing with the reflection of my head was ******* me off.

Don't know if that's good or bad, its just what I decided I liked doing better.

You'd think someone could come up with some sort of color changing test. Lighting seems to make a big difference! Make sure the sun isn't shining on the tube. I can make the dot disappear with sun at my back, but let a little sun in and it reappears and takes another "10" to disappear again. +/-10 is probably good enough, but be nice to get a +/-1 reading.

What I find funny about the video is it says make sure the sun is to your back, but the guys is facing the sun while doing the test in the video.

Could someone make their own 50ppm test with distilled water and CYA granules so we could verify our testing methods? I know it's sold for $8.50, but many of us here have CYA and distilled water on hand. Even if we had to add 1/8 teaspoon to a 5 gal bucket, then use a dropper for the test, it would be way cheaper/faster than ordering the pre-made 50 ppm solution. Any chemistry wizards know how much granulated CYA would have to be added to a 1 gal carton of distilled water to get 50 ppm?

357 said:
I think I found it per this site:
http://www.unitconversion.org/concentra ... rsion.html

Based on 1 gallon = 3.78541 Liters
0.1891 grams per 3.78541 Liter = 50.012022343 ppm

That should be close enough for government work. Now, how to measure .1891 grams of granulated CYA?

Your handle begs the question for me....are you a re-loader? I would think if you were, your powder scale would have been foremost in your thoughts. I have one and that's how I would do it. Do you have a friend that re-loads, or someone else that's a Jeweler or into Jewels/precious metals? If so they may have a scale that would do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Brushpup said:
357 said:
I think I found it per this site:
http://www.unitconversion.org/concentra ... rsion.html

Based on 1 gallon = 3.78541 Liters
0.1891 grams per 3.78541 Liter = 50.012022343 ppm

That should be close enough for government work. Now, how to measure .1891 grams of granulated CYA?

Your handle begs the question for me....are you a re-loader? I would think if you were, your powder scale would have been foremost in your thoughts. I have one and that's how I would do it. Do you have a friend that re-loads, or someone else that's a Jeweler or into Jewels/precious metals? If so they may have a scale that would do.

Brilliant idea. I don't reload. I've been looking into it as I can't get ammo in my neck of the woods. I've had some on backorder for months now. I'll have to ask my friends who reload if they could hit that specific of a mark. Thanks for the idea!

0.1891 grams of CYA needed per gal of distilled water to get 50 ppm.

Per: http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_all.htm, 1 grain = 0.06479891 grams

0.1891 grams / 0.06479891 = 2.918258964541225 grains

Most of the reloading scales I've seen online are claim accuracy within 0.1 grains. So in theory you could add 2.9 grains of CYA to a 1 gal jug of distilled water to make the 50 ppm test solution but as JasonLion indicated, your results would only be as accurate as your CYA measturements, tools (scale), and jug fill(accuracy to 1 gal) are combined. That's quite a few variables

If accurate, 2.9 grains would equal 0.187916839 grams.

0.187916839 grams /3.78541 Liters = 49.69910709 ppm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.