hayward 1hp

Jun 17, 2013
I was given a Hayward power flo 1hp pump and a Hayward variflow valve sand filter from a friend who took down his pool. I have a ultra frame intex 18x48 with intex swg. Is it ok to upgrade from the pump which came with the pool to this Hayward If so should I run the sand filter along with the SWG? Thanks!

I am not the expert here but with a few fitting changes and the addition of a skimmer, you should be good to go. I think I have heard of people using the Hayward sand filter with the Intex salt system. I am confident it will work better than the existing Intex filter.

The biggest issue with Intex to "standard above ground" is the hose fittings. Intex hoses and fitting only work with Intex products. Also, the over the wall skimmer may not support the increased flow. Do some poking around this site and look at "intex Conversions".

You can buy a nice "through the wall" skimmer body and return fitting kit for about $30 on Amazon, a couple standard above ground hoses (~$10 each) from the pool store (or possibly WalMart). I know you think it's a lot but the convenience and the power of the Hayward pump/filter means you could use a standard suction pool vacuum and an end to Intex filters (assuming you are using them).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.