small seasonal pool--is it worth buying expensive test kit??

stephlap4

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2013
Louisiana
do I really need to spend a lot of money on a fancy test kit if it is just a small seasonal pool? I only had one problem since I put it up, and that was algae due to leaving it alone for 4 days while on vacation. I have the hth 3way test kit and I have been doing just fine with that.

Re: small seasonal pool--is it worth buying expensive test k

I agree with you. The big thing about your pool is that if it gets away from you completely, you can dump it and start over with little expense.

I would keep doing just what you are doing.

In my experience with an EasySet8 and an EasySet15, it was easier to dump and fill when it got bad. The issue with tiny pools is the margin for error is very small. The TF100 will allow you the precision you need to make accurate assessments and changes. The kit seems like overkill, but it is very effective. If you water is expensive, it ma be worth it in water savings. If your water is cheap... dump and fill.

When I add a few extra ounce of Cl to my 10,000 gallons, it not bad, but if you add an extra couple ounces to an easyset8, you have doubled the level. Also, solid chlorine adds so much CYA... so fast; it makes it impossible to stay clear, especially with the pump the pool comes with.

I have found my big pool is easier to mange than the sack pool was.

You don't "have" to but IMO it makes it much much simpler to manage, and measuring chlorine at higher levels is much more accurate. My pool is the about the size as yours and I use the Taylor K-2006, I find it quite easy to maintain my pool - even when we are away from home because there's just not as much "guesswork" involved.

Last summer using a simpler test kit I struggled to keep enough chlorine in my pool and it eventually turned green. I did some research and landed on the BBB method and understood more about FC levels and CYA and bought a better test kit and I had perfect water the rest of the summer. Starting with a different pool this year (we went bigger) everything has again been perfect... I haven't had a single worry about anything.

It is possible to manage without one, but I would strongly suggest only using bleach / liquid chlorine for your daily chlorination source, and start off adding a carefully measured amount of CYA stabilizer to get your CYA to a level of 40ppm, then maintain your daily chlorine level at about 4.5 ppm (your test kit should go to 5 ppm max so is in the range you can test) , make sure it never drops below 3 ppm, and adjust your pH as needed. The key here is to stay away from all forms of dry chlorine products, because you have no way to test for their secondary effects. (added CYA with dichlor and trichlor, and added calcium hardness with Cal-Hypo)

Ike

Great Advice!! I am pretty sure i will be trying the BBB method. Since the algae mishap, i have found to like the bleach use rather than the tablets!! Trial & error.....and of course, time & patience!! Now...if I can only get my 3 and 10 year old girls to have patience with my learning to get the pool just right....hhhmmm...don't think that's gonna happen!! :) lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.