AA treatment - First timer

Also, if you are using a 10 ml sample size for the FAS-DPD test, then 0.5 ppm CC is no problem at all since it's <= 0.5 ppm. If you used a 25 ml sample size, you may find that you still only need one FAS reagent drop to clear the sample meaning your CC is actually <= 0.2 ppm or perhaps two drops for <= 0.4 ppm. This is why we say that CC <= 0.5 ppm is not a problem.

chem geek said:
Also, if you are using a 10 ml sample size for the FAS-DPD test, then 0.5 ppm CC is no problem at all since it's <= 0.5 ppm. If you used a 25 ml sample size, you may find that you still only need one FAS reagent drop to clear the sample meaning your CC is actually <= 0.2 ppm or perhaps two drops for <= 0.4 ppm. This is why we say that CC <= 0.5 ppm is not a problem.

Thank you. I am using the 10 ml sample. I must say this has been the most difficult pool season for me. I still find it hard to keep FC is the pool. 3 Weeks after AA treatment. I keep pool cover during day (solar). Sun has been blazing in the mid 90's for the past week. Raised CYA levels last week to help condition FC.

I performed an overnight FC test last night. Total loss was .5. Pool had solar cover on overnight (not sure if that makes a difference).
Last night numbers:
FC 2.5
CC 0
TC 2.5

This morning numbers:
FC 1.5
CC .5
TC 2

My SWG doesn't appear to be keeping up and it's frustrating. Prior to AA treatment I would run the filter for 8 hrs on 40% and the pool would level out at 3ppm of FC. Since AA treatment I have the SWG at 60% for 10 hours and the pool barely can keep a level of 2. It doesn't make sense to me.

I am questioning if I should shock the pool (pool looks clear) or clean SWG to ensure it is working properly.

Full Number as of 6am

FC1.5
CC .5
TC 2
CYA 50
CH ??
ALK 80
PH 7.2

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I would raise the FC using chlorinating liquid or bleach. Letting the FC get too low may have started not-yet-visible nascent algae growth. If you raise it to shock level, it should get things back to normal faster, but given that you were doing a metal stain treatment, I'd start with your lower pH (i.e. 7.2 is fine) and more slowly raise the chlorine level, say to 10 ppm to start. Maintain that manually for a day or two (the SWG can be on to help if you want) and then check the overnight loss again (it still might be 0.5 ppm FC but if it is starting at 10 ppm then that's an improvement). If all is well, you can try the SWG again to see if it can keep a minimum of 3 ppm FC (2.5 at the absolute lowest).

I raised the pool to 10ppm at 10am. Took solar cover off. Came home at 6pm to find the FC down to 6ppm and the staining returned badly. Stairs are all brown.

I am truly at a loss for what next steps to take.

I decided to raise the FC back to 10 and plan to leave filter on overnight. I feel like all my time and the money spend on AA treatment was a complete waste.

You need to add metal sequestrant regularly, usually weekly, since it will slowly break down from chlorine. It sounds like perhaps that is what happened. The good news is that lowering the pH some and adding metal sequestrant may remove the metal stains without needing to redo the AA treatment. See this post earlier in this thread as an example.

I have been adding sequestrant on a weekly basis. 16oz a week. Jacks purple stuff. Should I put more in now whole I'm trying to stabilize FC levels? Or wait until I pass overnight test?

Glad there is some good news because I've been frustrated with the whole process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.