May 30, 2008
Fort Gratiot MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone,

I have a 24 ft round 52" deep Doughboy with a 1hp pump (Doughboy also) with a Silica II filter, and a 180,000 btu Raypak heater.

I was wondering, am I going to lose alot of heat running the lines underground? Also am I going to put too much strain on the pump, and should I get a larger pump if so?

I am running 1 1/2 dia spaflex hose. The run is about 20ft underground. Then above ground I'm using 1 1/2" clear vinyl from the spaflex to the equipment.

The reason I want to run the lines to the return and skimmer is my heater. I want to keep it close to the house so that I dont have to pay a plumber $300.00 to run a 20ft piece of underground gas line. This way I can run the gas line myself and when it shots out from the crawl space through the block it will come up and go right into the heater.

Thanks
Brian

You won't lose a significant amount of heat to the pipes. Most of the heat is lost to evaporation.

The extra pipe will cause more dynamic head and so reduce the flow rate. That pump should be able to handle it, but you won't get as much flow as you had before.

Im curious, my pressure went up in my filter pressure gauge from 12 to 14psi once I moved the filter and pump to its new location. Why did the pressure raise up like that?

Thanks
Brian

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.