idea for Tiki Torches wick cap

Jeff74

Mar 10, 2010
Huntington, WV
I have about 10 Tiki Torches that I use around my deck and pool, however, the cap that comes with the torch is pretty silly. Either it gets lost or it breaks and then since the torch cannot be covered, when it rains, it dilutes the bottle of oil as well as ruins the wick and it cannot be lit again. Does anyone have an idea of a homemade cap for these things?

Thanks.

Here's the best solution I have found. Use a ROUND RUBBER CHAIR LEG CAP. There are some black ones about 1" in diameter (that's one inch for you metric folks) available at Home Depot. They twist on stretching right over the uppermost portion of the metal top on most ordinary and genuine Tiki fuel containers (closest to where the wick comes out). They seal remarkably well and are tall enough not to adversely affect the wick. I searched high and low for anything that would fit the (useless) outer threads at the top without success. I found a few of these rubber leg caps in my shed and they are absolutely perfect. Nothing threaded would have sealed as well. The final key to transporting full (and refillable!) Tiki fuel containers was to add a properly sized o-ring to the top of the screw-in can and now I can carry these cans full and ready to go without them leaking all over the place. I still keep them in a plastic cat litter bucket repurposed for the task. A decent, sealable canister must be against the law or something but I'm never buying the "Ready-2-Lights" (that you can't refill) ever again. This solution isn't for creating a cap that extinguishes the torch but I've never had a problem simply blowing a torch out. It was the kerosene all over my car that burned my as*. How safe was that?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.