Just don't know what to do anymore

Jun 17, 2013
I've been fighting with this pool from day one.
I have an Intex 15x48 pool that we filled with well water- did bucket test, water did no change color although we DO have sulfur water.
Filled pool before learning about adding chlorine as you go.
Water was grey (from the sulfur)
I have tried eery calculator I can find, followed some suggestions from several places but no one seemd to have the same problem I do.

Pump is 15:Intex 56635EG 1500-Gallon Filter Pump
using 1" trichlor tabs from HTH
Got my levels pretty good and it was suggested I use sink and sweep to help get the"stuff" out that is causing the cloudiness.

The water is crystal clear as long as I let everything settle. Once all the gunk has settled on the bottom (not very thick either) I vacuum the pool and before I know it, cloudiness is coming out of the outlet back into the water.

The pump above is a recent upgrade from the crappy one that came with the pool. Filter is new.
I even bought a "slime bag" and I still get cloudy stuff pushing through it.

Current readings using Taylor kit:
water 72deg
FC 6ppm
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 175ppm
CH 300ppm
CYA more than 100ppm (water didn't get to where it starts registering on tester tube)
SA .3

ANY ideas are much appreciated. I'm not a stickler for it being crystal clear I'd just like to get rid of the crud that keeps settling and not getting caught by the filter.

Thanks You,
~Chrissy

Is there any way you can get metals and sulphur free water brought in?

With a CYA of over 100 you're going to need to drain and get the CYA down and it would be in your nest interest if you could refill with good water.

Bama Rambler: I wish replacing the water was do-able but I live out in the boonies and to get someone to bring me water, the minimum is about $250. Next year we are doing fresh water but have to make do for this year.

duraleigh: Yes cartridge filter

Thanks. If you are vacuuming and spewing dirt back into the pool, the cartridge is totally plugged or it is mounted wrong inside the filter and dirt is by passing it.

It seems from your post that the filter works for a short period, then starts to put dirt back into the pool, correct? That would tell us it is completely plugged and you need to remove and clean it each time you see it spewing dirt back in the pool.

I thought that too but the filter is mostly clean. I can put a brand new one in and as soon as the vacuum hits a little bit extra "gunk" the incoming water turns cloudy. I've taken the whole thing apart and made sure everything was together correctly a couple times now, thinking maybe something wasn't screwed on right or that it wasn't primed fully. I'm at a loss what is causing the problem.

We have well water and our pool was brown from high iron once we finished filling it. I added some metal control and clarifyer from Walmart and that got the stuff to "clump" together and settle to the bottom. Then my husband rigged up a filter contraption from a bucket with a lid, drilled holes all in it an stuffed it with pillow stuffing. Cut a hole in it, ran the return hose through it and propped it up so the water would still go back into the pool. I vacuumed this way an it was insane how much of the stuff that it caught. Worked way better than our sand filter. Our water was crystal clear afterwards. Google removing iron from pool and there is a YouTube vid that we used as a reference on how to make our contraption.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.