How necessary are UV filters?...

Jun 17, 2013
central texas
We are in the process of getting bids for our backyard pool and so far UV filters have been an optional item. Some builders give long sales pitches and recommend them others just include them in the quote (still an option) but don't discuss it. They run around $1500. Is this something we need? Rather use the money on a larger pool if possible...

Welcome to TFP!

Not necessary at all.

I'd consider them almost useless unless your pool is used regularly by people you don't know well or you expect wildlife to make use of it.

Freakaloin said:
I was told UV filters use less chlorine so they pay for themselves in a few years. Untrue?

Actually, the UV system may use up some of your chlorine itself.

Though the UV does sanitize the water as it passes through the unit, the sanitizer in the pool is what prevents person to person transmission of pathogens. When something contaminates your pool, it could be 8 hours or more before that contaminant passes through the UV sanitizer.

There might be some situations where UV systems decrease the use of Chlorine, but I suspect most of these would involve a pool that was already out of balance, in a correctly balanced pool you will see the benefit to them to be minimal and they will increase Chlorine consumption as Chlorine breaks down under UV light.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.