pH and TA

Jun 26, 2011
Lakewood, NJ
I've had phenomenal results using the TFP method the last 3 years. Looking forward to a fantastic TFP season.

We just opened our pool this morning and here are the results

FC 0
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 40
CYA 0

The pH is perfect should I adjust TA before I start shocking.

I will place some granules in a sock at the return to raise CYA.

Thanks, Hannah

How does your water look?

As for adjusting ph...since your TA was low (were you/are you using trichlor pucks or dichlor?) I would wait and see what your ph does. If it goes up at all, I would then lower it down to 7.5 or so.

The pool is getting clearer. However this morning I performed 2 readings
9 am
FC 11
CC .5
pH 7.5
TA 70

10 am
FC 8.5
CC .5
pH 7.3
TA 70

also CYA still registers 0. I only put in about 16 oz of conditioner, should I put some more in? and should I increase the pH levels.

Thanks

16 oz of conditioner/CYA is nowhere near enough. 16 oz in 22000 gallons would raise CYA by 6.5 or so, and you want to raise CYA up to the 30 to 50 range.

With CYA that low you will lose chlorine to sunlight very rapidly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
should I add a full 4 lb bottle of conditioner. I remember from last season, starting out with 0 CYA in the pool and adding less than a 4 lb bottle initially, I ended up with CYA levels of 30 during the season. I don't use any tabs.

Also, should I raise the pH?

Thanks,

10:15 am reading
FC 9.5
CC 0.
pH 7.2 or 7.1
TA 80
CYA 20

last night 11 pm
FC 11
CC 1
pH 7.2
TA 80
CYA

the water is crystal clear now yesterday it was filmy. I think I'm done shocking.
should I adjust the pH now. or wait for the CC to lower.

Thanks for your help,
Hannah

Just tested the water 6:40 pm

FC 8
CC 0
pH 7.2/7.1
TA 80
CYA 20

I'll be gone until Saturday night, should I raise the pH now, should I leave it?

I will now add 2 jugs of 6% bleach just in case.

Who is in charge of thepoolcalculator.com? Great Value bleach now comes in 121 oz jugs, not 128 oz.

Thanks for the great site

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.